need some help

Bill Kemp

ok fellows had the boat out today getting some driven time in and need some input on engine height.

1990 xb02
hydrotec built 2.6 should be somewhere around 225 to 235 hp
lower unit done by mark evans at props plus it is a 225 excel unit with 1.80 gears
27p trophy blue printed and some cup added also by mark evans
propshaft 1/2" below pad

the boat was fully loaded 175lbs of gear, full tank of gas, myself 220lbs,
no water in livewell.
so far it has been pretty ease to drive i have had it up to 5500 rpm and the gps read 77.2 zero steering torque, trim a little less than nuetral.
should i raise the motor some more and if i do will i get some torque on the steering.
thanks

scott mann

prop

If you raise the engine, try raising engine a 1/4" at a time...Just curious, why would you add cup to a Trophy for a light hull like an xb2002? There may be better props for a light hull like yours (ET?). Secondly, if you currently have no steering torque, you may be at the "sweet spot" already.
It's been a while since my 2002, somebody else may need to chime in here...Good Luck
Scott Mann

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I agree with Scott, raise the motor in 1/4" increments.

No experience in 02's here but my 03 with a Trophy at 14-1/2" setback works OK at 1/2" below the pad but better at 1/4" below. The deeper in the water the Trophy goes, the more torquey it becomes, at least in my limited experience.

I also agree you might want to try a 26 or 28ET or performer on your 02. I think you'd notice a huge difference.

Bill Kemp

went back to the lake today with motor set even with the pad. what a difference a 1/2" makes. water pressure increased to 23psi started to get a little steering torque and was able to drive it a little faster now at 80.4 at 5950rpm. i like having some steering torque seems to be easer to keep boat balanced. i am trying to get a 26p chopper i will start looking for a et to try. thanks