Need help fish finder/ depth finder

David

I wanting to put a new unit in my 003 and was wanting the latest and greatest but also a good bang for the dollar. Any help will be greatly appreciated

GotMyAlly

How big do you wanna go and what's your budget? I like humminbird for the mapping, but Lowrance has a nice product too. Raymarine is starting to get quite a following and Garmin seems to be getting back into the fishfinder business with some new technology as well.

In the humminbird line, if I was going to update the electronics on my boat today, I'd probably put an Onix 8 in the dash and a Helix 7 at the bow................

JWolff

I wont own a boat without side imaging (or similar technology from the other manufacturers). It is awesome stuff. John

David

Thanks for the info ally owners.. I am looking at 500-700 dollar price range. Definetly side imagining and would like a 7 inch screen or so. Also user friendly would be great too . I'm not a hard core fisherman but when I do fish would like to use my time to the fullest. Thanks again for the help..

David

looks like I am getting the helix 5 KVD edition.. Were is the most accurate spot to mount the transducer to the bottom of the hull?

GotMyAlly

For side imaging, it won't shoot thru the hull.....it needs to be on the outside of the boat. Most put them on the jackplate.

David

Thank you, that's good to know..Would you happen to have any pics of how or where about the transducer is on the jackplate ?

jcoats3

I got a helix 5 mounted at dash. The seven would do better for detail on SI. The 999 is a lot nicer got on front. Transducer mounted in middle of homemade holeshot plate on allusion 9 inch jack plate.