My son got his first deer today!!!

RedAllison

:beer:

And "da torch" has been passed down!!! :smile

My oldest son Mitchell (was 12 on the 23rd of Oct.) finally hooked up this morning with his lil Model 7 Youth .243 @ 52 steps. She took about 3 leaps and folded like a cardtable. I KNOW I was more excited than he was. This day has been DECADES in the making for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two years ago he missed a 145inch 8 ptr @ 125yds and he hasn't been able to go again until this weekend. This weekend we were near Jackson, MS on some land we bought for an uncle and cousins to hunt on. Yesterday morning Mitchell grazed some belly hair off a doe @ about 50 yds. (He admitted he closed his eyes when he shot! :cuss) Then yesterday afternoon he missed a doe @ about 50yds (says he shot over her, flinched! :cuss X2) BUT he made up for it this morning @ 6:50 on this ol' doe. My uncle and I were kidding him this morning over breakfast saying he went from, "Ol closed eyes" too "Ol dead eye" in one shot!

LOL he had fallen asleep in my ground blind over a foodplot, I had to wake him up when the deer stepped into the field. But a minute later and that doe caught an 85grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet through the ol pumphouse and that was that!!!

That hat he's wearing was one I used to wear when I was a kid startin out. I bet 50+ deer were killed "under" that hat in my younger days!
RA

Attachments

Last edited:

The Cashew Kid

I remember when my son killed his first deer. He was 10 and man o man, you'll remember that day vividly for the rest of ya life! Way to go Mitchell!!:beer::beer: Now time for one of these:big buck!

RedAllison

lol NAWP Neal, I wanted to get out of there in time for breakfast. I can gut 'em in about 3 minutes, we'd STILL be there with flashlights and him trying to do it WITHOUT gettin bloody if I let him do it!!!

I DID make him hold the legs and help, he did better than I figgered he woulda! :wink
RA

WildWolf

:big buck Congrats a BIG day for both of ya!!Got a pic nothing like a kid with a big GRIN on his face:big grin

WW :beer:

Blue Gray in PA

Congrats to both of you! I'm hoping my son Ryan will get his first deer next Monday when our rifle season opens. We only saw one doe last year and she wasn't legal for either of us to shoot. I just hope we don't go through the lengthy process you guys had to endure but I'm sure that made it all the sweeter when it happened. Tell Mitchell congrats from all of us up here in PA!

Scott

Texan

Hey Scott! I hope it panned out for your son on deer holiday up there. I rep for a manufacturing facility based in SW PA, and they were on skeleton crew today because they all were out in the deer woods for Deer Holiday. I can't believe they don't have that down here in the ArkLaTex, 'cause you can't find anyone at work opening week. Might as well go ahead and make it an official state holiday like they did in PA.