My first couple times out by myself.

18ftswitzer

First day out by myself. I used a 40lbs bag of water softener salt for counter weight. It was windy so I had to run about 50 yards offfshore to get some smooth water.

My set up- 28 Mazko, 1/4 tank, prop shaft 1" below pad.

The best I could get was 81.1mph @ 6500rpm, I tried trimming up a little more to get some more rpm but it didn't make a difference. I also tried runnin 1/2" below the pad and I couldn't get the rpm's any higher. It was about 57 degrees.

Second day and the water had some tiny chop and about 60 degrees out. I changed my prop to a 32 chopper, and ran it 1/2" below the pad, which from what I understand is low for that style prop.

So the results were 94.1 mph @ abour 6300rpm.

I am really happy with the mph, but now I want 100mph! Ill post some pics when I get them on my computer.

Lotus 50

Interesting. That looks like a cleaver to me.

Does everyone run the bow that high? I've never seen my boat at speed and have no pictures, but it doesn't seem that bow high.

18ftswitzer

The prop might be a cleaver, Im new to this so I dont really know. Those pics are of me just messin around, I was only runnin about 70 in those pics! I did run 94.1, but I reset the GPS on accident, so I took a pic of the best after that.

Last edited:

85allison

Need to raise the motor a bit so you dont have to input so much trim. The bow is a bit high. Good run though. Didnt think they would run that great with a Cleaver. PM Ziemer, he can give you the correct set up for the boat, he has one of the fastest Grandsports there is. Good luck and stay safe.

18ftswitzer

Need to raise the motor a bit so you dont have to input so much trim. The bow is a bit high. Good run though. Didnt think they would run that great with a Cleaver. PM Ziemer, he can give you the correct set up for the boat, he has one of the fastest Grandsports there is. Good luck and stay safe.
I wasnt trimmed as much as in the pics, just thought it would be a cool pic. I was thinking that I should be runnin the prop higher.

froggy

Yes, your pictured prop is a CLEAVER not a Chopper. Since the cleaver is a surface piercing prop, you'd be better served at a higher engine height. Good running by the way.

froggy

whipper

Yes, your pictured prop is a CLEAVER not a Chopper. Since the cleaver is a surface piercing prop, you'd be better served at a higher engine height. Good running by the way.

froggy
Yes great running. Ya your bows a bit high because your motor is a little low. You can tell by the wetteted surface. The best running shot would have your spray right at the very back almost a foot less than the pic with the least spray of the chine. Cleavers are the fastest props for GS for top end arguably.:big grin The only people I know that ran over 100 in a GS with 225,s had cleavers on. Glen Renolds and Sam Baker there was another guy to I cant remember. Ive talked to them on this and they run even to 1 above with cleavers on. Even would be ther low side running a cleaver. Your set up most likley is set up like most to not be over even all up. You might want to check this. Take the cowl off on a very level surface. With a foot long level or shorter level the trailer and then put the level on the flywheel cover and trim untill level. Check that the level is even off the top of the gear case also. Messure from the concrete to the center of the prop shaft ,theres a center hole there for center, and ground to the pad at the back center of the hull. The differance is your prop shaft hight atall up with nutral trim. Make a note of the trim rams extention and mark it or just mark the guage also were nutral is for trim. Allisons will be slightly past nutral trim at WOT for top end runs. This is good to know for safty reasons also.
Try all up and dont go past nutral for a run and see what speeds you get. Then you can judge after that how much more trim you can saftly use untill you feel all the other ways of telling. Like if you bump the trim and you dont see more speed but your rpm rises your at the limit and should be one bump down. I want a cleaver now!!! I always have accualy.
The chopper11,s are good up top also. A little better when Todd works them into a knob cut for hole shot to though. If you can find a 30 Hydro T3-X that would be a wicked all round top ender that carries a load better than a cleaver. If you get a chance ,throw a 25 pitch Trophy or Hydromotive 4 blade OT on there. You wont believe how fast out of the hole she,ll be and still get high 80,s but in around 10-12 seconds from a rolling start stock. Looks like you,ve got it son. Way to go.Dint take you to long at all.

Last edited:

whipper

Switzer these shots are perfection just so you get to see the running surface area for Max speed. When your this high your at the limit. One more bump or an over correction to stay level and you can blow the prop out of the water more easily. The Yellow RR can run higher than you being lighter with more power to suport the bow but the GS has the same power as your. Just as a referance. On Scream and fly theres some wicked shots of Ziemer running high speeds90,s to over 100 for referance also. The spray should never be above your cowl hight and should not on the chines, just the pad & half the gearcsae in the water. Your shots are great spray wise your good. When you raise the motor youll get more spray so just watch you dont trim above the cowl to much. A cleaver will spry higher though than any other prop mind you. I love your GS Elite very very nice!!! http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186838 Hears a link to a thread with some of Ziemers running shots for referance.

Last edited:

Fishforcash

Pretty boat. I love the GS, its the sexiest family boat on the planet.

Good info here, these guys know how to set one up and prop selection.

mikesufka

On my first Grandsport, I ran a Merc Cleaver as my "everyday prop". Ran great. Could take 4 guys out and a cooler of beer and run 90ish MPH. Best runs were 102 MPH.

Mike