My brand new, used, blown 150 promax

Ocktane

Hey all. So I'm pretty certain I've decided to take the 150 Promax on the new 2003 down to Dennis Hoffman for diagnosis and rebuild (seller said #6 was stuck). Question about the case. Its a 4 Hole CLE, stock case, would you all recommend a custom nose cone for it? Or should I just run it and see how she does first? I still haven't had a chance to turn the flywheel and figure out if shes a 2-1 or 1.87-1. Been working 12 hr shifts all week since I brought the boat home Monday night and with an hour drive home after work I don't wanna do much at all come nighttime. Also, pertaining to the motor, where do I purchase the stuff I need to plug up the motor if I plan on removing the oil injection system (which I plan on doing)? I'm so ready for a day off so I can start setting the new boat up with all my goodies! First things first though I wanna get that motor looked at so I can get an estimated time for rebuild. Thought about changing the power heads from the 150 on my XTB, but if the rebuild doesn't put me out of the water for more than a couple weeks I may just avoid doing that (since I found a buyer for the XTB who is just waiting for me to say I'm ready to part ways with her). Anyhow, sorry for the rambling, I may be a wee bit excited and eager with my new toy :big grin, and thought I'd share some thoughts and questions. I'll have a hundred more over the next few months as I get used to the new ride!

-Nick

skewby

call glenn reynolds at 865 882 6700 you can get the whole kit from him to remove the oil injection

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think twice about getting rid of the motor you have. It seems to be above average from what I have heard.

suicidealli

Really depends what you are looking for. If you will be happy with a 150 build it by all means........ If you know you wont be happy, don't waste your money..JMO
How fast do you want to go???????lol

Roy

Last edited:

skewby

octane you want to go faster!!!!!! price me that 150 ... everybody knows i just like to cruise around nice and slow, its easier to have a nice cold beverage and keep my hat on. :)

Ocktane

I've been going back and forth, back and forth deciding. I'm gonna get Dennis to look at the motor tomorrow and see how bad it is and go from there. That being said though, heres a question; I'm not looking for a drag/race boat, just a good fast ride for fishing and cruising (cruising comfortably mid 80s). What motor would ya'll suggest? And that being said, anyone have anything they are looking to sell for a reasonable price that I could drop on to what I got on the back of that 2003 already. Along with that, if I'd have to get work done to that 4 hole CLE, so be it.

Ocktane

reasonable price btw being within a 1k-2k of the cost to rebuild this 150. Thanks everyone! Just trying to get as much info as I can so I can make an edumicated decision.

h2oskiier30

I'm not looking for a drag/race boat, just a good fast ride for fishing and cruising (cruising comfortably mid 80s). What motor would ya'll suggest?
Easy...225 ProMax. I have a buddy that has a drop-on for sale right now. I'll see what he wants for it if you'd like.

Ocktane

So we opened up that motor today and checked her out. #6 cylinder wasn't stuck. I actually knew that last night when I spun the flywheel to check what gears were in that CLE (2-1). Anyhow, looks like something happened in #2 and #5, but no catastrophic damage.
. Also looks like someone has been into the motor before, not sure why but there appears to be some tell tale red silicone on the gasket sealing surfaces.
. Anyhow, block looks good, everything on the motor looks good so I'm getting her rebuilt. I know I know, get a 225, you'll be happier. I'm gonna run with this one for awhile and down the road I'll look into something else. Worse case I'll end up with a rebuilt 150 as a back up motor someday. I'll let ya all know how she runs and what I think about the 2003 in a few weeks when I get her runnin'! Morgan and I are so excited! And so is Shadow, lol!

aaronmt

I think alot of the people saying go for the 225 my have not run a 150 promax.There certainly isnt 75hp of difference between the two.I wonder what is stronger out of the hole between the two.Your 150 Promax on your XTB defintly made me a believer of those motors,there very underated.

h2oskiier30

He said he wanted to cruise comfortably in the mid 80's, which is why I said "225 ProMax". The 150 PM is a good, strong motor, but it's not going to "cruise" in the mid 80's on an XB03. The 150 PM is a great engine, though.

Ocktane

Oh and by the way, I guess cruising in the 70s would be cool too, I think my pretty redheaded passenger would be happier cruising in the 70s also, hehe!