Moving to Knoxville area

XB03AllyProud

Well, I hope you all can take another couple moving to the area. We moved to Illinois in 2008, after close to 30 years in TX and marrying a TX girl, to help out my parents and live on the old family place for the hunting and such. I ended up buying additional adjoining acreage, so we now have 110 acres for sale with the custom Morton home we built. Dad passed away 6 years ago, Mom has been 4+hrs north for the past couple years in assisted living where I have 2 siblings. Our daughter, son-n-law and granddaughter moved to West Knox 2 years ago from Dallas area and are loving it, so here we come.
I always said for years if we ever decided to move again it would be to the area down there, but never really thought it would happen. The Wife loves 4 season’s and we would like to see our granddaughter grow up so it just makes sense. We listed the pro’s and con’s and the pro’s won. 97 years this year that the homestead here has been in the family name. There is no one to pass this place on to, to keep the family name and our daughter would sell it when we are gone so it just makes sense to sell now and start again down there. I hate to lose the deer hunting here but I’ll just have to join the public and find a spot down there.
I was hoping to make the rally this year but we’ll just have to wait till week before and see how it works out. In the past, I reserved a house by Arrowhead a couple different times over the years to come to the rally but work always got in the way and never made a rally. Even got close enough 1 yr that I discussed dropping a boat at Skewby's so we could have both down there for the week. Couple years ago he pointed me to the Tom Fuller ramp to get us on the lake 1 day. The 5 of us loved it and that got me thinking again about a move but wasn’t ready to let go here yet.
Enough background, We are not buying till we sell here just because of unknown time frame to sell a property like ours, we just listed a month ago. https://trophypa.com/properties/illinois/alexander-county/110-acres-alexander-county-il-recreational . Son-in-law built a garage with apt for guests, so we have a place for short term in West Knox till either a house is found to buy or rent. We would buy an existing place if it had the space and such needed but so far for the past 6 months there has only been a couple possible's. Ideally, we are looking for a few acres where we could do another post frame home, but this time be a farmhouse style 2400-2600sf with attached 2 car garage and have room to do a separate matching shop building 1200-1600sf. If the right property came up and was stick build only that would work as well. We have travelled a lot since back in the fall looking to see the lay of the area, wife would like to be 30 mins to West Knox and I want as close to boat ramp as possible. No HOA’s though. Looking as far north as Norris area and west to Kingston down to Ten Mile to Philly. Nothing south or east yet has been looked at with any seriousness. She really would like Lenior City as her shopping for groceries etc area.
Let me know if you locals, have any leads on housing or 2-5 acre wooded build sites. Also if you personally could recommend boat and vehicle storage and plain drive up to door storage buildings. I know they are all over but personal recommendations are always good.
Thanks all and look forward to the new adventure down there and meeting you all on the water. Roy

XB03AllyProud

Thanks Brian, We'll have to meet up when down next trip or so. Daughter n family right there as well. South of 11, west of Peters, north of Geo Williams on Engert Rd. SIL sent me a picture one day back in fall of a Allison in the area but it wasn't yours.