Motor height starting point for XB2003?

h2oskiier30

Bought my first Ally, an XB2003 about a month ago. Thing kept getting REAL squirrely at about 5000 rpms. Got to checking, and it looks as if the previous owner has the propshaft even with the drain hole for the hull, or about 3 inches above the bottom of the pad...which, IMO, is WAY too high, and is probably the reason for the squirreliness.

I feel sure the motor needs to go down, but what's a good starting point? I've heard 1/4" below the pad?

I have a hydrodynamics jack plate with 15" of setback, sporty 1.87 gearcase, and both a 26 and 28 pitch chopper (gets squirrely with either).

Thanks in advance.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I was told by the guy I bought mine from it should be no higher than even and no lower than a 1/4 inch.

bassracr

just exactly how did you check the engine height/ propshaft in relationship with the pad?

badbait

That should get you close. I try to park on a flat surface and level the pad as you did and level the prop shaft. I measure up from the floor to the pad in front of the lip and then measure from the floor to the center of the propshaft. Yours looks like it's about 1/4 of an inch above the pad. Since your new you may want to come down a little. One thing that I think is most important to do is while you have the pad level and the propshaft level look at your trim gauge and make note of where it is. You shouldn't need to go past there while your learning to drive your Allison especially since you have 15" of setback.

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

Yours looks like it's about 1/4 of an inch above the pad.

Those aren't pics of MY boat. They are Terry's (guy who developed the measuring method) pics. The laser dot on my boat went dead center of the drain hole...WAY too high, IMO.

badbait

A quarter to a half below is where I started. Again, know where nuetral trim is on your gage.

Blue Gray in PA

I like Terry's method but I do mine slightly different. I level the boat using the area on the bottom of the boat from about 6" in front of the pad up to the first roller (a 2 foot level just fits this space). Then I place a 4 foot level on the floor and level it to correct for any unevenness on the floor (a tablet of paper will let you raise or lower either end with good precision). Trim the motor in or out until the cav plate is level (it's parallel to the propshaft but you can also remove the prop if you want). Then measure from the center of the propshaft (easier with the prop removed) to the top of your level on the floor and then measure from the top of level on the floor to the bottom of the pad lip. Do the add/subtract and you're there - you can then run your hydraulic JP up and down to easily measure the movement between lines and know how much each mark means on your setup - my CMC is 1/2" between each line and even with the pad is full up on the gauge. The gauges are not extremely accurate but they will get you within 1/8".

bassracr

I would recommend 1/4 below, and assuming you have solid motor mounts and your steering cables are nice and free ,and adjusted properly. once these items are verified, its up to you to learn how to drive the boat at speed. these boats take a little seat time.
good luck and be safe