MinnKota Terrova Ipilot???

RedAllison

Anyone own or used one? I'm REALLY considering one for my big red mistress. I looked at them in a store the other day & they are intriguing as hell.

Negatives I can find:
1). Deploying/stowing them isn't as easy as my Maxxum Pro (with Lift Assist) but I don't fish every week of the year anymore & certainly don't run & gun so troller deploy speed isn't critical to me.
2). With the shape & way it's designed to be used, the foot pedal won't fit in the recess on my deck so I'd have to fabricate a cover for the well & cover it, then bolt the controller to it. (The Terrova has a cellphone sized remote anyway, will likely use it as much or more than the pedal)
3). The turning/lock to lock speed of the electric steering is slower vs traditional cable steering. If I fished alot of standing timber I probably wouldn't want this motor but about the only timber I fish is in my farm lake so that's no biggie.
4). I'm not sure as I'd hafta measure it but I think the mounting footprint is smaller than Maxxum Pro so it won't "bolt & go" into the existing holes in the bow where my Max is. Gotta steel biz bud whose guys have laser, plasma & water jet torches who will cut a plate/adapter for me. Just givem the measurements.

Positives:
1). The GPS guidance system in the motor is IDEAL for offshore fishing which is the vast majority of what we do on Pickwick & KY Lake.
A). "Spot Lock" (also called "electric anchor") is the neatest feature on the motor, for fishing ledges & points this feature rocks. Hit the SL button on the remote & the motor will automatically keep the boat on that spot until turned off. Landing a fish, changing tackle, grabbing a beer & sammich... whatever, the boat won't require operator input nor drift off the spot. (I wonder how far away the remote works? If far enough, at the beach I could have it drop me on the bank, then turn around & go back out a little way and "drop electric anchor" instead of wallow on the beach. Would work equally nifty during solo launches at the ramp!)
2). The remote control allows operation from anywhere in the boat, if wind/current/conditions necessitate moving to the rear deck or anywhere else in the boat the operator still has control from anywhere.
3). The system will also re-follow a preset course up to 2 miles with the option of selecting any speed settings within 1/10th of a mph. If I want to run down a ledge, around a point or down a timber/weed line again it's just a matter if hitting a button & then start casting.
4). There's no more steering cable extending from the unit head down to the pedal. That makes moving around up front during non-fishing times easier.

I have Hbirds 997 up front & 1197 on the console. They don't have Ethernet capability so they aren't compatible with the newer 'Ipilot Link' but the only thing those have that I would be missing is the ability to follow contour lines on Lakemaster Maps & guidance to specific waypoints at the touch of a button. As it stands now I have Navionics HotMaps HD on my 1197 so I can find any spot I want to very easily.

Anybody used a Terrova Ipilot? :gone fishing
RA

Darth VMAX

I havent used one so the only thing I can tell you is my FIL is a Prostaffer and gets a new Lund/300 Verado etc. every season. He LOVED the "SL" function on this trolling motor. I think last year was either the first year they came out or the first year he had one and he raved about the features on that thing. Never had an issue that I know.

Alli-drenaline Rush

I've got one. Love it. Boys were a bit skeptical after having used the Fortrex on the Ranger, but after having seen the Terrova last weekend in action in 25 mph winds gusting to 30+, they think the Terrova is the cat's meow. Can control it up to about 50 yards or so away (SWAG on the distance). When I slung the blade on the Trophy, I sat in the driver's seat and controlled the boats' path using the iPilot for about 2-3 miles. Anchor function is really cool. Recommend a secondary lock on the shaft for peace of mind in keeping the unit in the stowed position; I have read of some guys' units deploying at speed. I don't think that is a problem if you lock it down each time you stow it. Maybe a bit less cumbersome than the Fortrex in the stow / deploy department. Definitely slower than the Fortrex in spinning 360 degrees. Agree that trolling through wood means that you have to stay further ahead of the boat mentally than you would with the Fortrex.

Actually deploying the Terrova is easier / less effort required than doing the same with the Fortrex....

Another positive is that the deck has a "cleaner" look with the Terrova than with the Fortrex, IMO...

I'm looking forward to the time that I can fish hydrilla where the wind is blowing the boat into the hydrilla..... hit the anchor button and work the weed line from the back of the boat..... use the iPilot to move 50 ft down the weed line and repeat..... and the anchor function works in 20 ft of water where the power poles are useless.....

My $0.02....

RedAllison

THANKS Richard! That's just what I wanted to hear, I figured someone inda family would have one. :wink

Think I'm gonna order one in a couple weeks :at the bar
RA

GotMyAlly

Have you thought about putting it on a removable mount? Buy an extra base for the aluminum boat.....that way you could pull two pins and have it on the little boat in minutes.

RedAllison

I thought about that Neal but with the 997 puck wired & mounted on a troller (via the Transshield thingy) it pretty much makes removing it a PITA. That MK that's on WMJ now is ok but remember I still have that 24v OMC I bought from brack, I want to put THAT on WMJ. & hell, 80#s on that tin boat would plane her off. Most likely I'll put the Maxxum that's on RDW2 now onto that pontoon at the farm! :gone fishing

Alli-drenaline Rush

Terrova on the Pro. Knob and clamp at the left end of the shaft is the primary method of securing the unit in the stowed position. Loosen it, slide the clamp to the right and re-tighten to deploy (and to choose depth of operation).

Extra security tie-down to make sure the Terrova doesn't deploy accidentally:

Turn the volume up and you can hear the clicks of the control.... taking it easy trolling back to the marina after slinging a blade....

Alli-drenaline Rush

Red - take a look at this video... freeze it at about the 8 sec mark, and you can see the cleanliness of the deck from another angle......

ADR

Alli-drenaline Rush

Well duh.... You can look at the video preview and see the tidiness of the front deck with the Terrova.....

fishnfireman

Anyone own or used one? I'm REALLY considering one for my big red mistress. I looked at them in a store the other day & they are intriguing as hell.

Negatives I can find:
1). Deploying/stowing them isn't as easy as my Maxxum Pro (with Lift Assist) but I don't fish every week of the year anymore & certainly don't run & gun so troller deploy speed isn't critical to me.
2). With the shape & way it's designed to be used, the foot pedal won't fit in the recess on my deck so I'd have to fabricate a cover for the well & cover it, then bolt the controller to it. (The Terrova has a cellphone sized remote anyway, will likely use it as much or more than the pedal)
3). The turning/lock to lock speed of the electric steering is slower vs traditional cable steering. If I fished alot of standing timber I probably wouldn't want this motor but about the only timber I fish is in my farm lake so that's no biggie.
4). I'm not sure as I'd hafta measure it but I think the mounting footprint is smaller than Maxxum Pro so it won't "bolt & go" into the existing holes in the bow where my Max is. Gotta steel biz bud whose guys have laser, plasma & water jet torches who will cut a plate/adapter for me. Just givem the measurements.

Positives:
1). The GPS guidance system in the motor is IDEAL for offshore fishing which is the vast majority of what we do on Pickwick & KY Lake.
A). "Spot Lock" (also called "electric anchor") is the neatest feature on the motor, for fishing ledges & points this feature rocks. Hit the SL button on the remote & the motor will automatically keep the boat on that spot until turned off. Landing a fish, changing tackle, grabbing a beer & sammich... whatever, the boat won't require operator input nor drift off the spot. (I wonder how far away the remote works? If far enough, at the beach I could have it drop me on the bank, then turn around & go back out a little way and "drop electric anchor" instead of wallow on the beach. Would work equally nifty during solo launches at the ramp!)
2). The remote control allows operation from anywhere in the boat, if wind/current/conditions necessitate moving to the rear deck or anywhere else in the boat the operator still has control from anywhere.
3). The system will also re-follow a preset course up to 2 miles with the option of selecting any speed settings within 1/10th of a mph. If I want to run down a ledge, around a point or down a timber/weed line again it's just a matter if hitting a button & then start casting.
4). There's no more steering cable extending from the unit head down to the pedal. That makes moving around up front during non-fishing times easier.

I have Hbirds 997 up front & 1197 on the console. They don't have Ethernet capability so they aren't compatible with the newer 'Ipilot Link' but the only thing those have that I would be missing is the ability to follow contour lines on Lakemaster Maps & guidance to specific waypoints at the touch of a button. As it stands now I have Navionics HotMaps HD on my 1197 so I can find any spot I want to very easily.

Anybody used a Terrova Ipilot? :gone fishing
RA
I have. Love it !!
Not for everyone, Have had the Terrova for several years now.. In tight places you have to pay attention and stay ahead of the curve. The contour lock is great for the way I like to fish. The spot lock is also Sweeeeeet!

jimbob88

You do the upgrade on the 997 & you can utilize lakemaster chips. Just buy an extra transducer & cable for the other boat & should be able to swap back & forth. Unless I'm missing something?

Darth VMAX

ADR,

That is VERY clean looking! I really like that vs the Fortrexx. Sweet set-up ADR

Bobalouie

I am going to do the Powerdrive with Ipilot for my next troller. It is a little bit lighter weight than the Terrova, and I dont need the additional strength of the Terrova. But the Ipilot is the cats arse.

I was going to run mine with no foot pedal, just use the remote, since there really isnt very much room on the front of an XB02 to begin with.

RedAllison

Thanx for all the info guys, I'm not 110% in love with the way it deploys but the other strengths of the motor outweight that one negative imo.

You do the upgrade on the 997 & you can utilize lakemaster chips. Just buy an extra transducer & cable for the other boat & should be able to swap back & forth. Unless I'm missing something?
Jb I haven't upgraded either unit in probably a year or two but I'll do that soon. Mapwise the HDs I have been excellent so no complaints there. But the problem would be the lack of ethernet hookup on the 997-1197 (as I understand it) as that is how the "Ipilot Link" system connects and communicates with the SI units. I already did buy another transducer, powercable & ram mount for my 997Si and use it on my 16ft metal boat as well.

Do I understand correctly that the Ipilot also has a "point in a direction/target, hit a button and it will go that way until turned off"? That would be another neat feature for bluffs, grasslines, timber lines, flats etc...

Sounds like just what the Dr. ordered, a troller that does essentially everything for you but no little dude in a chauffeurs outfit to get in the way on the front deck! Aint "teknawlogee" wunnerful? :beer:
RA

Alli-drenaline Rush

Do I understand correctly that the Ipilot also has a "point in a direction/target, hit a button and it will go that way until turned off"? That would be another neat feature for bluffs, grasslines, timber lines, flats etc...
That would be correct.... Used that functionality this last weekend running along a line of timber..... You just need to "crab" a bit into the wind like an airplane...