Mildly ported 260 goes flat at 3200rpm

99hawk

I just bought an XB03 with a 260. Needing some advise. The engine was just rebuilt, it had 2 hours on it. Items that were replaced by the builder: Bearings, pistons, Stator and trigger, reed valves, gaskets. The builder did a very nice job on it. I have ran 1.5 tanks of fuel through it. I went fishing and took it out was running great. I came back and picked up the wife to go for a ride and it wouldn't go over 3200 to get up on plane. It acts like it is hitting a soft limiter. It starts great hits on all cylinders. I have checked compression, all were with in a +- 2-3 psi. Brucato has went throught the ecm and no issues with the PCU. Stator ohms 4.06 on both sides of the stator. Checked spark with a timing light it was good. Changed the plugs. I think it could be a stator, but I want to be sure instead of throwing parts at it.:banghead I have a service manual ordered, but it won't get here till next week. No one in the area will touch it. What should I do?

99hawk

Thanks suicidealli and h2oskiier30. This has been very helpful

suicidealli- Do you know what the fuel pressure should be?

h2oskiier30- How do you check the switch box?

Also had a mercury guy tell me it could be a TPS? Does anyone have any specs on this engine? I found the sn to og959741, if this helps.

99hawk

It has a black fuel pressure regulator, if that helps. I know that Tony asked that when he reflashed the computer to the engine.

suicidealli

correct black is 56.
when the fuel pumps go bad they will loose fuel pressure when you throttle up, or the just lock up. switch box usually just dies. that means your running on 3 cylinders. the high side of the stator could be the trouble.
get a fuel pressure gauge, and when you hit the throttle it will fall off if it is the fuel pump.

roy

99hawk

Thanks, guys. I'll check the fuel pressure (Fuel pressure gauge in the boat is off). For some reason the gauges are off in the boat, probably a ground wire. If it isn't fuel pressure, I'll try a stator.

Last edited:

99hawk

99hawk

Would a bad connection in the harness where the Allison and Mercury harness come together cause this issue?

99hawk

It's not the stator. Just put another new one in and still acts the same :mad::cuss. Fuel pressure is good. It will jump a spark 1/2 an inch on all cylinders. PCU has been check out by Brucato. :banghead What else could it be? Switchbox, sensor, etc.