Merc XS vs. Pro Max

westyf18

I'm tring to figure out the differences between the different models of Mercs.
I know the difference between a EFI and an OptiMax but what is the difference between say a 225 Pro Max and a 225xs. Is a Pro Max direct injected like a Opti?

When I did a search on Mercury's web site for Pro Max I came up with no matches.

TIA,

Westy

GotMyAlly

Promax is the old style EFI motors. The 225XS is the newer direct injection motors. The promax motors were also 2.5L and turned more RPMs than the 3.0L block on the 225XS.

westyf18

Thanks GotMyAlly,
Which one tends to be more reliable?
I have a 1993 175XRI on my Astro that has been the most reliable motor I've ever owned. Just change plugs and impeller every year and only (1) fuel pump in 11 years of hard running every weekend. Oh of course I've changed the oil cap a few times; never leave the dock without a spare one of those.:laughing

Westy

GotMyAlly

Which is more reliable? That depends on who you ask. The PM is old school. EFI technology is tried and true. But the 225XS turns less RPMs. That in itself has a direct impact on the life of a 2 stroke. The 225XS is definitely easier on fuel.

If you are buying new, the promax is not an option. And you won't see many Optis on used allisons. I guess it comes down to the question.....are you buying new or used? If you get a new one, the 225XS is going to have a couple years of warranty. That in itself is comforting to me.

westyf18

Thanks again for the response.
I'm looking at used and wanted to be as educated as possible for an old guy.:laughing

Westy

JR

I have had very good luck with my ProMax, but I also do good annual maintenance. The low RPM without a 1.62 gearcase would seem to be a problem on the XS, if you want to go semi-fast. If this is for an Astro, the XS should be a good choice.
JR

westyf18

JR

I'm going to replacing my slow boat (Astro F18 Quickfire) with an XB2003. I have seen a few for sale with Pro Max's and I just wanted to know the difference. The mileage of the XS would be great but I'm looking at around a 2000 or older for my price range so I believe I'll be getting a Pro Max. I hope the Pro Max is as reliable as my old XRI. Your right about periodic maintenance and I believe the worst thing you can do to a boat is let it sit.

BTW, this is a great site and I can't wait to join the "family of A-boat owners":beer:

Westy

JR

Welcome to the family.

I do an Annual on my Pmax every Spring and have a complete water pump, all new seals/fluid in the sportmaster GC, compression test and change the fuel filters.
I also have the gears on the oil injection checked and a new coat of grease on the steel driveshaft.
The biggest Problem I have with My Pmax is with the driveshaft rusting/pitting.
I got over 1000 hours on my last powerhead and am still on my original SM gearcase.
I also run the Walmart Pennzoil synthetic blend oil.
I hope you find a nice one.
JR

dspencer

The Mercury 2.5xs and 200xs are no longer made. You might be able to find a new or used motor. The xs stands for the direct injected models which are EPA friendly and more fuel efficient.
Mercury has just introduced a 175xs that is just a little hotter than the regular opti. It should get you good efficiency and run in the upper 70's to lower 80's. It is coming with the regular lower unit so you might have to have a nosecone put on it. These are also just a couple hundred dollars higher than the 175 optimax in price, under 12k.

On the Jaco's website it appears the mercs have a 5 year warranty going on right now.

Last edited: