Merc 200xs gen1 vs gen2 cooling

Kevin B

Hey guys,
I have a new motor that I need to understand a little better.
Does anyone know the specific differences on the Merc 200xs gen 1 & 2.
I'm trying to get my Gen2 to cool or behave more like a gen 1.
Comments welcome. Thnkx

Todd D

The gen ones come on a 2 piece plate and run the poppet. The gen 2's do not use the poppet. The gen ones pull water to cool the compressor off the exhaust plate. The gen 2's cool off the top of the block.

Kevin B

The gen ones come on a 2 piece plate and run the poppet. The gen 2's do not use the poppet. The gen ones pull water to cool the compressor off the exhaust plate. The gen 2's cool off the top of the block.
Thanks Todd D for the information.

Jon

Supporting Member
Sorry to jump in here... but where is the poppet? I think it is starboard somewhere. I have no idea what it looks like, but need to clean mine :)

Kevin B

Jon the popit valve is on the Starboard side (the side of the aft marker light). It is located about mid way of the motor down near the pan. The popit valve cover on the 200xs gen 1+2 looks like someone took 2 large silver dollars and joined together.

Jon

Supporting Member
Found the poppet :). It is where you said, but behind the solenoid and relays. 3 bolts to remove the solenoid/relay mounting plate, and the poppet cover is right behind that. Mine was perfectly clean.

Kevin B

Found the poppet :). It is where you said, but behind the solenoid and relays. 3 bolts to remove the solenoid/relay mounting plate, and the poppet cover is right behind that. Mine was perfectly clean.
Glad I could help.
I just went threw an cooling issue with my new 200xs gen2.