Mariner 2.5 Offshore with Ridgeback exhaust

boilerdawg

Hey guys, i have a 2.5 Mariner Offshore, 260 with the ridgeback exhaust. I was told by someone on S&F that this was a pretty rare motor being a Mariner and not a Merc. what do you guys think?

whipper

Roys so right and yours looks sweet!! Those motors are keepers. Unless ya prefer black. Even 15 inch Merc black ridgeback 2.5s are getting rare. Still a fare bit of parts around but not for to much longer probably though there are some making good stuff for the 2.5 still so who knows.

h2oskiier30

K. In my defense, I am being treated for glaucoma. :shock:
Don't feel bad...it looks like a smoothback to me, too...a newer 280 model one at that, with the curved, swoopy bottom line. I can't even see the ridge on it zooming in a lot. Like you though...my eyes ain't what they used to be.

BGohr

Well if that was a ridgeback, it would be a 2.4, I saved the pic and blew it up, sure looks like what the motor says it is, a 2.5 mariner Offshore, only made with a smooth backed center, as well the 2.4 doesn't have that lower mount arrangement.

whipper

Well if that was a ridgeback, it would be a 2.4, I saved the pic and blew it up, sure looks like what the motor says it is, a 2.5 mariner Offshore, only made with a smooth backed center, as well the 2.4 doesn't have that lower mount arrangement.
Must be a rare motor sure looks nice!! Look even nicer on the back of my Grand Sport!:big grin

h2oskiier30

Is that right learned something new today..i had no idea! so only Mariner made a ridgeback ss then good to know.:beer:
No...NO ONE made a factory ridgeback ss mid. When I said "Merc", I meant Merc/Mariner, since Merc built both. Same company, same roof...different paint cans and stickers.

If you see a ridgeback ss mid, it is a cut one...none were ever manufactured that way.

Last edited:

whipper

No...NO ONE made a factory ridgeback ss mid. When I said "Merc", I meant Merc/Mariner, since Merc built both.

If you see a ridgeback ss mid, it is a cut one...none were ever manufactured that way.
OHHHH sorry im mid-dislectic. Never knew that either.:big grin We should talk i could learn lots!! smoothback,bass mid {mine} ss, Ridgeback,OffShore, theres just to many.:big grin ive always wanted a ss.

boilerdawg

ok fellows maybe im getting educated here and im calling it the wrong thing. are you all saying to be a ridgeback it has to have molded "seam" that runs down the middle rear of the mid? if thats so then this is not that. it does exhaust above the LU though....so what is the correct term for this mid? sorry for the confusion and my ignorance here.

h2oskiier30

It's a smoothback offshore mid...newer style. And yes, you're correct on the seam or "ridge" on the back of the Ridgeback mid.

Last edited:

whipper

ok fellows maybe im getting educated here and im calling it the wrong thing. are you all saying to be a ridgeback it has to have molded "seam" that runs down the middle rear of the mid? if thats so then this is not that. it does exhaust above the LU though....so what is the correct term for this mid? sorry for the confusion and my ignorance here.
haha Im with you, there is allot of very knowledgeable guys on hear that shoot straight and will help ya figure stuff out in a much more polite way than some forums will lamb bast ya when ya make an honest mistake. Thats why the Allison Forum is so awesome!! Every one lends a hand in helping figure it out.:beer:

BTW still a sick ,slick ,sweet motor by any standard, shes a keeper!

bassracr

This would be a ridgeback mid circa 1988...note the ridge with square snout
Only produced from the factory in '20 version