maintaining and lubing your rideguide cables part 2

bassracr

Link to part 1 of lubing steering cables :
http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=14973&highlight=Lubing+cables
move to the other side of the rack . I used a large crescent wrench to hold the rack ,A wrench on the cable end to separate the cable from the rack. once you pull this apart remove that large nut from the cable. this will leave you a nice surface to clamp your plastic tube on and provide a good seal .

if you like you can take the rack out of the housing ,de-grease and put some fresh grease on these parts also. if your motor is off, I put a trash bag under the cables in the rear to minimize a mess once the juices start flowing thru the cables. I clamp the luber to the cable using two clamps and used a bungee cord hanging from above to keep the end up . remove your pipe plug and pour your fluid in... filling the hose and up into the t- fitting. I used sea foam on the first pass. others have used other concoctions from kroil to brake fluid,wd 40 etc. once hooked up and pipe plug in, plug in your air hose and start out at a lower pressure to make sure you have no leaks and everything is sealed up.

increase the pressure to what you are comfortable with..90 p.s.i is what I use and have went up to 120. sometimes it will take quite some time for the fluid to move thru the cable. if they are disconnected in the rear you may be able to put a Phillips screwdriver in the bolt hole at the end of the cable and move it back and forth to help the process along . you will see the cable moving back and forth in the clear plastic hose while you are doing this ( another reason I like to hang it from my rafters to keep the fluid from pouring out when the air is unhooked and I can see the cable move and what is going on. again sometimes depending on your cable condition it may take hours or even overnite to push the fluid thru. it may only take about 15 minutes..depends on your cables. round 2 I fill the hose up with transmission fluid and run that thru the cables.. round 3, I used a 0w20 synthetic oil and flushed that thru and that's pretty much it. once I re-assemble the racks and before I attach them to the pinion ,I pull the cables thru the whole range from the back ,measure the travel and move them to the center. put the steering wheel where I want it and install the racks back on the pinion shaft . if your cables are stiff you will be very happy when you are done with this. it is a very worthwhile project that will make your boating much more enjoyable when your steering is smooth as butter. I know a lot of folks have switched over to hydraulic but I love my rideguide personally. I like the way it feels and the control when everything is all proper and the way it should be. hope this helps some Allison owners ..Happy boating!!

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Very well written and esay to understand. I too love the rack and cable steering. I try to keep my steering cables free of ty wraps, other wiring, tubing , etc as they go down the inside of the boat. I pull mine completely out to lube them.

suicidealli

I made a steering luber a few years ago. I have saved some cables for me and other guys.it is a good idea to lube them every year. I prefer the cables over hyd..

Roy

Dave Hensley

I made a steering luber a few years ago. I have saved some cables for me and other guys.it is a good idea to lube them every year. I prefer the cables over hyd..

Roy
I have squirreled away some new ones too Roy. Everytime I walk by them they take on a little more gold-ish tint. Just bought two new ones in the box and they are solid gold!

Dave Hensley

Just finished lubing a set for my XR2002. The process is slow and a little messy but the result is well worth it. I used mineral spirits pass one, atf pass two and Mobil One synthetic last.