Made a video of my gear case running.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Anyhow thought I would try and see where its at when I am u and running. There is to much water spray and I cant tell. It looks like when I first get on plane the nose is just barely under the water. I think all the spray is cause the nose is just under the water. Please watch and comment.

Allyfishing

I can't tell anything from that other than I would wire tie that ducer wire to the bracket before it gets weak and causes an internal break of the wire right where it comes out of the housing.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Between 32 and 37 seconds you can see the nose of the gear case moving backwards and seems to stop to the right of and aft of the transducer. But, after that the spray is so bad I cant see how its running. I suspect the nose is slightly submerged due to all the spray its kicking up. The ducer wire is tie strapped right above the camera. No wo were else to tie it off to.

GotMyAlly

I can't tell much because of all the spray. I wonder if a different camera angle might give you a better view?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I already have a better set up ready to try. I took a small aluminum pole about 3 foot long and wire tied the panda out of it to the grab rail on the STBD wing. It gives a perfect view from the side and I can see the back of the pad also from that angle as well. I just need a hour to go to the river and run it.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Made another video from a much better but, same result. To much spray around the gear case to see anything. I think its pretty obvious from this video that the gear case nose is running under the water and pushing up a lot of water spray. Almost makes me wonder if I could go way up with the jackplate........................

GotMyAlly

As long as the prop has a good bite and you have plenty of water pressure (which I bet you do), I'd think you could go up some.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Not to many people have made video's of their set up in action. Its hard to know what it is suppose to look like running. But, I have do have plenty of water pressure and if I come up much more I am going to be above the pad. Last time I measured I was right at a 1/16 the below. I suppose I need to measure again but, after seeing this video it does seem as if I could come up at least a 1/4".

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I put it back on but, have since bumped the boat ramp and knocked a little bit of it back off. But, most it is there. Plus, the 94 and 95 had a smaller lip. I think it was only .030 compared to .060 on the newer models. The 94 and 95 models also required less set back than the newer ones. So 6" on mine would be like 7" on the newer ones.

bigtis

It appears to be too deep and you seem to be running positive trim. A lipless 03 will run up over the pad with a fishing load.

The positive trim seems to be occurring really soon also. Unless my eyes are hungover

bigtis

youd be amazed the engine height a good wheel with some dia+cup is capable of carrying at!!!!

I run anywhere from 3/8-7/8 over but with 60 lip and 13+ whatever the clamp is. That's tourney loaded.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, I got home and leveled the pad and then the prop shaft. It was pretty much at 1/4" below the pad. I raised it to 3/16" below, started to go even but, decided not to. Not sure if that little bit is even worth moving it for.

sledman8002002

Not to many people have made video's of their set up in action.
Yes, that might be true, but putting the GoPro back there was one of the first things I did. Rules out any doubts in the back of your mind. I'm running the manual plate and I'm at 1/8" below in these 2 shots. My setback is 11".
I'm at 1/16" below for the most part unless I know I have passengers coming along. I'll be moving it to even in a coupla weeks. I have a feeling my water pressure may drop at that point tho?
(I've tried loading the vids to youtube and gave up, I can't figure it out, so kudos to you!)
The first pic is from a CLE and the 2nd a Sportmaster. (I dunno why there are 2 pics of the CLE)

Snapshot 2 (9-1-2015 10-23 PM).jpg
Snapshot 2 (9-1-2015 10-23 PM).jpg Snapshot 3 (9-10-2015 7-25 PM).jpg

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The videos took like 2.5 to 3 hours to upload to you tube. I thought being closer to the pad with the 5.5 inch setback jack plate I wouldn't need to raise it as high. Looks like I could be wrong. Maybe I need to go higher being closer. In the videos I am running a 1/4" below the pad. But, that makes the nose look buried in the water while it up and running. The center of prop shaft is the same height as the center of the nose of my lower unit. That's is also how far below it looks like its running to me. I would have to get above the pad to make mine look like yours running. Very cool picture, how does she run?

scj

I would think the closer you are to the transom, the lower you run the engine.
In my simple mind, it's relative to any object having force applied to it. Take a yard stick, support it at both ends and push it down in the middle 6". Relate the area you pushed down on as the back of the transom. Where is the water at it's lowest point? Right at the back of the transom. The further you get away from the transom, the higher the water.
That's how the Stroker guys are running 17" of set back and 2" over pad. The more lip on your pad, the lower you should run your prop as that's forcing the water even lower as it comes off the back of the boat.