lower unit question..

Speedman

I have to get my skeg redone but don't want to lose use of the boat. I have an old lower unit from the late 80's of a 2.4 motor with a nosecone and a couple of braide hoses near the top that I assume is for transferring water?? It was off the original motor that was on my boat when I bought it. It has not been in the water since 97. WIll it fit my 97 promax? I know I can replace the fluid and impeller? what about seals as it has sat for 10 years? it's in really great shape and was working fine when I blew up the motor in 97. any thoughts?

mtolley

is it a preload pin type lower? unsure if you can run a "pin" type in a newer 2.5l or not. if ya can, ireplace the lube and pump and run it

BigRedAlli

I ran a preload pin lower on my 260 for a couple weeks as a spare. Worked fine. Just not a strong unit.

Marty

Speedman

just looking to be able to fish while it is in the shop. It is not that much fun in 20 degree weather and 90+ but the fishing is great!

brotherxb03

It will work on a 2.5,i'm running a antique one on my 95 carb mota. I would put a pump,change the oil and pressure test it.