Lower Unit Crack

Fresh Water

I just purchased a 1998 Promax 225 about 5 months ago along with an XB2003. I ran it 4 times and other then a small fuel leak mentioned in a previous post, no issues. I drained the lower unit oil and put fresh oil in 3 weeks ago to winterize it. The oil coming out was fine, no indication of water. I store the boat in a Shelter Logic that hasn’t been below freezing yet as well. I went out today to find a crack in the lower unit (photos attached), I sanded down to see how deep. No oil is leaking, but looks deeper then the paint. Crack was not there 3 weeks ago. What now?

Attachments

skewby

Probably just the filler used when the nose cone was put on. Hard to tell with the pics so close. Take a pic so the whole lower is shown.

SlowHayden

I agree with Skewby, looks like it’s just the epoxy from where the nose cone was added. Shouldn’t cause any problem aside from an eye sore.

SlowHayden

One of my old lowers had a way worse “crack” than that and I just sprayed over it with new paint. It didn’t hide mine completely but yours is way less noticeable so you’ll probably have better luck. 82B8B578-746F-460C-8BB1-EE6330BA7716.jpeg

gmorgan

The part about being on both sides bothers me. If that nose cone isn’t welded on, as some aren’t, the filler not only fills but also holds the cone onto the gear case. If you have the ability yourself to dig down to where the nose cone and gearcase join, I would grind down and find out if it is welded on. If it is, fill it back in and smooth it out. If no weld is present, I would knock the nose cone off, clean it up and weld it on, fill and smooth it out. And then and only then can you rest at night knowing it isn’t coming off at high speed.

Fresh Water

The part about being on both sides bothers me. If that nose cone isn’t welded on, as some aren’t, the filler not only fills but also holds the cone onto the gear case. If you have the ability yourself to dig down to where the nose cone and gearcase join, I would grind down and find out if it is welded on. If it is, fill it back in and smooth it out. If no weld is present, I would knock the nose cone off, clean it up and weld it on, fill and smooth it out. And then and only then can you rest at night knowing it isn’t coming off at high speed.
Thanks!