Looking to be a first time Allison owner.

hellbents-10

Probationary User
New to the forum and looking to research Allison boats to hone in on one.

I currently own a Tuff 24 with a 300XS and my step son Jace is having one built as well (long lead time...years out!). We are looking for a good pad boat for him to practice on in the mean time.

We all know that seat time is so important!!! Maybe something like a XS2003 with a 150ish power plant???

TJ

aj06bolt12r

Man I would love to have a Tuff 24 maybe someday.. As for getting a boat for him to learn on. The Grandsports are pretty hard to come across. You might have better luck finding an XB2002 or XB2003. Id look for at least 200hp

Rled

Man I would love to have a Tuff 24 maybe someday.. As for getting a boat for him to learn on. The Grandsports are pretty hard to come across. You might have better luck finding an XB2002 or XB2003. Id look for at least 200hp
New to the forum and looking to research Allison boats to hone in on one.

I currently own a Tuff 24 with a 300XS and my step son Jace is having one built as well (long lead time...years out!). We are looking for a good pad boat for him to practice on in the mean time.

We all know that seat time is so important!!! Maybe something like a XS2003 with a 150ish power plant???

TJ
Welcome to the forum. I am also a first time Allison owner and after a couple of years I still haven't mastered driving my XB2003. I can't seem to break the 70 mph barrier without getting squirrelly.

aj06bolt12r

Welcome to the forum. I am also a first time Allison owner and after a couple of years I still haven't mastered driving my XB2003. I can't seem to break the 70 mph barrier without getting squirrelly.
Its going to get squirrelly after 70mph. That is about when an xb2003 steps up on pad and you have to start balancing the boat with steering input. Boat setup is extremely important too. A boat that is balanced poorly or has the engine too high or too low will be MUCH harder to drive. Where in Tennessee are you? I'm right in the middle. I boat on Normandy, Nickajack, Guntersville a lot. Maybe I can help.

aj06bolt12r

This video is kind of funny.. Shows me on the struggle bus trying to learn to drive my first year and slowly getting better as the season goes on.

Rled

I
Its going to get squirrelly after 70mph. That is about when an xb2003 steps up on pad and you have to start balancing the boat with steering input. Boat setup is extremely important too. A boat that is balanced poorly or has the engine too high or too low will be MUCH harder to drive. Where in Tennessee are you? I'm right in the middle. I boat on Normandy, Nickajack, Guntersville a lot. Maybe I can help.
I'm in East TN about 30 miles south of Knoxville. I am usually on Tellico or Loudon. I haven't had much time this year to go the lake.

Lotus 50

You should have kept the 16 Tuff for him to learn on:)

Any of the 20' Allisons would be a lot of fun. You can look on Scream and Fly and on Facebook (Allison Ultra High Performance and Allison Boats Buy Sell Trade) for boats for sale. I don't see a need to limit the 'starter' boat to 150 HP. The chinewalking will limit your son in law's speed at first. But then he might want more speed. Not that a 150 would be slow. You can get high 70s maybe 80 on a Grandsport with a 150. I was very close to 90 with a lightly modified 150 on my SS2000. Some say that the GS is hardest to drive as the seat is offset the most.

A very long time ago, when I was learning to drive my SS2000, Mark let me drive a Tuff 21, after he drove my SS2000 and gave me advice. It was easier to learn then my Allison. I remember thinking "don't go too fast and get in trouble with a boat that's not yours" and then going 70. I think if he learns the Allison, he will adapt quickly to the Tuff.

I know this is the Allison site and you are a Tuff guy, but what about a new Hydrostream Valero? PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

David

hellbents-10

Probationary User
Well Jace has a ss2000 with a 260 2.5. He flat out went and put it on the pad right off the get go! Took him 2 minutes to crack 90 and about 2 hrs to go 100+ like it was business as usual.