Looking at 280

JaySmithRacing

Yea always lots of "Stories" going around ( If you know what I mean ) about that issue and other "yarns" ...Facts as I remembered it was Lou, had the FIRST motor built in Al. that came apart very quickly because of pin failure and broke a rod gutted a block and front, I was contracted to tear down new rotater and check it out. At that time Lou was gun shy ( as anyone would be, if he wasn't why would I have been tearing down a NEW rotater ??? ) about the motors and was trying anything to preserve life and buy an insurance policy. Had heard rumors of some failures with Mercury Top Pins as reports they were soft and the ring were sawing through, for insurance Marles top pinned the new pistons with a harder material pin , they failed any where from 90 hours to 20 minutes as the "stories" and the years went on time it was ran shrunk :)...

THATS the way I remember it going down from this happening 5-7 years ago and a zillion motors built....All the rest of this and other "stories" have been sifted through many gallons of Miller Lite over 5-7 years if you know what I mean... LOL...I asked Lou what he wanted to do and WE made the dission I've NEVER have gone on my own did something and spent the customers money with out talking it over with them, after all its not my money to spend... .YEP THEY failed...I haven't ran Mercury forged pistons for many years I run only Wizards with with little to no failures reported.. Quiz Mercury and see how many piston failures they will own up to...If people in the know remember they never had a side pin failure issue either did they.. YEA RIGHT !

I've built many motors since then and ran a zillion sets of Marles Top Pinned system on cast pistons and can't ever remember another failure...I don't speak for anyone other than myself, got a my mom/complaint about a set Marles did for you, he's in the book!

Jay

Last edited:

racerx

Jay no need to make any excusess to whoever,i bought that motor from Lou and what a shame,,seeing you doo a zillion motors i wouldnt think a man of your calibur would have to hear rumors that top pins were fallin outta merc pistons,i have run the hell outta them and never lost one,heck i figure you would of just sold him a set of Wizards before doing what you guys did,anyhow i am glad Lou ripped those low hour pistons out and replaced them new before another one went,well i guess you live an learn from mistakes..peace

JaySmithRacing

EXCUSES? Nah I don't do that for a desission a customer and I make Jeff even if it did go wrong it was a joint dessision as I said I NEVER spend a dime of the customer's fund thats not agreed upon.....Just because you've had good luck with a product Jeff are you so nieave to think everyone has had the same good luck? LOL.... well what ever :)

And FYI: This happened way before I knew about or sold Wizards THATS how LONG ago it's been just to jog your memory...LOL.......... See ya in Jasper....

And I still build 2-3 of these a week...EVERY WEEK...

Jay

Last edited:

2003225X

EXCUSES? Nah I don't do that for a desission a customer and I make Jeff even if it did go wrong it was a joint dessision as I said I NEVER spend a dime of the customer's fund thats not agreed upon.....Just because you've had good luck with a product Jeff are you so nieave to think everyone has had the same good luck? LOL.... well what ever :)

And FYI: This happened way before I knew about or sold Wizards THATS how LONG ago it's been just to jog your memory...LOL.......... See ya in Jasper....

And I still build 2-3 of these a week...EVERY WEEK...

Jay
:blah blah blah

Bobalouie

What specifically is your dissatisfaction with Jay? You seem to harbor a lot of animosity toward him...

Tray Archer

Whats the matter you got to hide behind a pm....it seems like you are the type e of person that no matter what some one does you could never be content. Jay has been involved in many motors i have raced and has never done me wrong if anything its been for the better and he certainly hasnt done or charged me for any thing that wasnt discussed. In ten years i have had only one major failure and it wasnt anyones fault it just happens when you turn high rpms for a long time. A lot of people jumpball over Jay, and some people dont like that Jay will tell it like it is and he doesnt sugar coat stuff. I bet money that if someone didnt like what jay was telling them that Jay would have no problem giving them there motor and tell ya to carry it elsewhere.
Some people need to give it a rest

2003225X

Sorry it was such a sour subject or if I upset anyone. I won't say anything else.

LakeAnna

One good thing about these motors is everyone has plenty of choices when it comes to getting one built... Some faster than others and some might be time bombs... but aren't they all. Nothing like the good old USA and being able to make your own choice.:relax:

brund

Well i am going to buy the 280 will be putting on my boat tomorrow.It is a little scary buying used .just hope i get a good one!!!!!!!!!