Look what I found!!!!!!

Allyfishing

I removed the injector manifold to get the injectors sent out to Tony and so I pulled the reed block as well. Not happy about what I found but maybe it will be one of the reasons why I was experiencing the surging at times.

What would cause this?

suicidealli

That isn't that bad, but leaving some power on the table.. I have reeds look like that and the motor still turned 10,000. Your ready for reeds for sure tho.
I have had the best luck with sport jet reeds.

Are your pulsating around 2000 rpms?
Also are you running an acu, pcu????

Roy

Scott in MN

My Boysens looked at least that bad when I pulled them. It affected idle but no surging. That is the way it is with Boysens, mine had 3 seasons on them. I use different reeds now, but some people still prefer Boysens....

Lotus 50

My Boysen reeds have been there for well over 10 years. Any decay has been too gradual for me to notice. Would I notice the improvement with a fresh set of reeds? If so, what brand?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is that a burnt hole in pic #2? Other than that, it doesn't look much out of the normal from what I've seen from an engine with some hours on it.

Allyfishing

Roy, the surging starts at around 5000-5500RPM's and continues as long as I hold the throttle there. I have Tony's ACU and I am to send it back to him to re-check the program. The surging happened at the beginning of the year and I changed out the plugs, wires and all the coils(they all had busted up magnets in pieces). It ran great all year til the fall then it started surging real bad again. the left Volt reg went out for the 3rd time.

I'm going to change out the stator, trigger and switchboxes soon also. The entire intake with injectors and reeds are going to Chris Carson for replacing and lapping the cages and he's going to send the injectors to Tony then reassemble it all and send it back.

Brian, I'll have to go back and check the reeds again and see if that is a burn hole or not.

I only have 108 hours on it now. Max Rpm's I've run is around 7100 but only for a few seconds. Mostly in the 5000 or so range.

Allyfishing

Ya know, I thought of that at one point. Only because I've read it onetime not because I am knowledgeable. It has sneezed too often lately and I didn't know why??? Now I know. I've always had a bad feeling about my injectors as well.

I have a gut feeling that some are running rich and I'll bet a few are lean.

I still have that small brass looking vent fitting at the top of the intake with the bleed hose on it going to the VST still pushing out fuel. I had the float replaced and a new needle valve kit installed this past fall and it is still leaking fuel. The only other thing it could be is a rich injector, right???

Alli-drenaline Rush

Craig for someone who claims to not be a grease-monkey and not knowledgeable, you sure seem to be learning a lot, thanks to your inquisitiveness and the help of your buddies on the board!

suicidealli

A lot of people talk good about tdr reeds. I can't say either way. Sport jets are hard to beat. Except the price. Lol sound like a fuel issue Craig. Could be a wiring issue tho. Check your ground on the switch box's.. I agree I think I would buy new ones. Let me know if you do!!! I have some connections!!!!!!

Roy

Last edited:

Allyfishing

LOL!!!!!!!! Richard, this is not by choice!!! I always wanted to learn but not this way!!! LOL!!!! this is frustrating. It would be cool to have one of these guys real close so I could bribe them with beers and liquid apple pie and watch them have at it.

We are lucky to have the expertise and knowledge of these guys here and other boards and willingness to share in troubleshooting and resolving problems.

Craig for someone who claims to not be a grease-monkey and not knowledgeable, you sure seem to be learning a lot, thanks to your inquisitiveness and the help of your buddies on the board!

Allyfishing

Roy, I thought fuel as well. I had the fuel system gone over in SC this past fall. the only thing left to the fuel system is the injectors. I am leaning to the switch boxes for the surging from what I read in the manual after eliminating what I have done already and what is not applicable to my setup cuz of the Brucato ACU.

SLOmofo

In my mind. All it takes is the reed not sealing well. A bit of the intake charge is pushed back through the reed and then that intake charge is lean. Then it sneezes, the sneeze is fire in the crank case that then gets back to the slightly open reed and burns it.
Another is an injecter that sprays droplets instead of a fog of fuel. Anything that burns first has to become a vapor then it can burn. Droplets/puddling of fuel don't contibute to the air/fuel mixture so then it is lean.
A hot running spark plug can preignite....spark at the wrong time......

Put steel reeds in and you'll have less of a burning problem:wink:wink, but then a plastic reed that breaks and goes through the engine causes less or no damage.

:very happy

Alli-drenaline Rush

LOL!!!!!!!! Richard, this is not by choice!!! I always wanted to learn but not this way!!! LOL!!!! this is frustrating. It would be cool to have one of these guys real close so I could bribe them with beers and liquid apple pie and watch them have at it.

We are lucky to have the expertise and knowledge of these guys here and other boards and willingness to share in troubleshooting and resolving problems.
Hang in there buddy! The knowledge gained will bring with it a tremendous amount of satisfaction once you have conquered this issue!

catfish123

Craig, you impress me with your courage to dive into these things. I too, am very glad we have many people available on the net who have experience and are so willing to share it. I have never been mechanically inclined so I tend to do a lot of reading just because I find it interesting and I like understanding better what makes the motor run or not run....LOL. Unfortunately, usually when I try to follow instructions from others, I wind up screwing something up and the repair bills are FAR higher than they would have been than if I just would have taken it to a qualified mechanic in the first place. I think there are so many little steps in many procedures that if not followed exactly, disaster is right around the corner. The guys who do these things on a regular basis generally don't miss those things, but if they are left out inadvertently while passing on information to others less skilled, the problems only get bigger. In my opinion Craig, you have either had some very bad luck or you are just hexed, as your problems seem never ending.

Allyfishing

Bob, insanity is not to be confused with courage!! LOL!!!!!!!

Don't think I have not pondered the "little tricks and things to look for" that an experienced mechanic knows from experience that would get me in trouble that is not covered in the manual.

Bad luck and hexed are one in the same, Bob!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Heck, if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

You had a "hunch" or feeling that something was up or not quite right with your motor and you were right. I've felt that too and it turned out I was right. Lkie my electrical thing that was going on with my battery alarm going off on my Lowrance. Finally the tach stopped working and I just knew from my earlier experience that it had to be the volt reg. Sure enough it was and the same one a third time. That's just not right.

Thankfully people like you and I have the guys around us on these boards that are experienced to tell us where we went wrong!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Allyfishing

Here's the stator and the linkage on the trigger. the ball joint/linkage, if that's what its called, is real loose and sloppy. And you can see the dusting of rust on it. I sure hope that comes with the new trigger.

that break in the insulation can't be good. I wonder what the side of the insulation looks like against the coils of copper wires.

Allyfishing

In my mind. All it takes is the reed not sealing well. A bit of the intake charge is pushed back through the reed and then that intake charge is lean. Then it sneezes, the sneeze is fire in the crank case that then gets back to the slightly open reed and burns it.
Another is an injecter that sprays droplets instead of a fog of fuel. Anything that burns first has to become a vapor then it can burn. Droplets/puddling of fuel don't contibute to the air/fuel mixture so then it is lean.
A hot running spark plug can preignite....spark at the wrong time......

Put steel reeds in and you'll have less of a burning problem:wink:wink, but then a plastic reed that breaks and goes through the engine causes less or no damage.

:very happy
good information SLOmofo. It only sneezed twice that I can remember and that was just this past fall. I wondered about that myself. It's getting new reeds and the injectors are going out to Tony to get serviced so that should be eliminated.