??Lifting Hull Off Of Trailer??

Sking

I am doing some work on my trailer and am considering lifting hull, XB2002, off and setting it in my yard. Motor is off. I was thinking I could use my hoist but don't know if I can use the jackplate as a lift point or would it be better/safer to strap the hull? I know the Allison transoms are solid but this would be pulling up instead of pushing down. I don't know if strapping the hull would put to much strain on the sides of the hull where it is thin? Also, not sure how to lift the bow? If this is not a smart thing to do then I may be better off renting a slip at the lake for a week or so.. Any input would be appreciated..
thanks

Yellowallison

One way you can do it is....

go buy a tire store and get ya 4 ole truck mud tires.... tie a rope to your transom and around a tree in your yard..... slowly start to pull forward and as the boat is sliding off the trailer place the tires under your hull... till it sittin high and dry on the tires............ Not needed but you can also lay ole towels over the tires..

Do your trailer work..

then take a lil JOY soap and put in a spray bottle with some water and spray a little soap and water on your trailer bunks... back your trailer up to the just past your bow eye, take loose from truck and use your winch and crank the trailer back under the boat.....

Done this many-many times and it doesn't harm a thing.. did one last week.. refurbished a trailer for a guy!

To mess with ya neighbors ..... during a break.... go sit in your boat drinkin a glass of tea/beer with your fishing rods and WAVE at THEM when they ride BY!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or .... we lift our race boats off the trailer all the time at the races with wide strap slings going from the tramson/bow or under the hull via crane for weighing... jus put towels where the strap hit the rub rail for chaffing.... no problems at all.. :p

fishnfireman

One more poor boy way :idea:

I had some 6 by 6 timbers left from a project.
Take 1, 6 by 6 that was 5' long and placed under the jackplate just behind the transom.. after lowering the trailer tongue all the way down.. place a a set of car stands under each end of the 6 by 6 After adjusting car jacks to fit snug.....raise the trailer jack as high as it will go.. Then i take another 6 by 6 that is about 12' long. I have a pair of strong saw horses that are just the right height to place the 6by 6 on and fit up under the bow eye. i cut a notch and placed carpet over it where the timber touches the boat.... You need the long timber in front so you can place the saw horses out far enough for the trailer to pass between... Have some short 2 by lumber so you can shim the 6 by to the right heigth, when it is snug up under the bow eye.. use the trailer jack once again to lower the trailer.

If all is done right the boat will be suspended about 2 inches off the trailer.. then just pull the trailer out by hand. :arrow:

Sking

thanks for the ideas guy's, some stuff I would have never thought of. "necessity is the mother of invention", really did not want to leave my boat at the lake in a slip..

22R

I have used the method described by fishnfireman and it works great. !! I used 4x4's and three pipe stands. ( one in the middle under the bow )

RB in NM

I have pulled em off the trailer like Yeller mentioned, just wet the bunks good and she'll slide right off.
Also used two car motor type cherry pickers on my XB-03, one front, one on the back, lifted her up, pulled trailer out by hand, and set her down on a few big truck tires, with jack plate all the way up and motor trimmed high as she'd go.

Russ