Let's build a lake motor!!!

sidvishus

SO...

If your 260 was needing a sleeve...

would you...

1) get it sleeved and renicked and rebuild as stock 260.
2) get it sleeved and ported to DRAG specs and renicked.
3) get it steel sleeved on all six and ported to DRAG specs.
4) fix it back to stock, sell it and get a TRUE DRAG.

I have a XB2002 and want to have a STRONG all around motor. I fish, lake race, and take an occasional high speed run. I was very happy with my 260, but have always wanted a DRAG. IF you build a 260 to DRAG specs, isn't it a DRAG? And not to start a war, but who do you send the block to? Ruck, JSRE, Nichols, etc... I will put it together, I just want to know who is best to fix/port...

thx.sid

chad202

put a 1" intake spacer, 5-pedal sportjet reeds, bump compression to 155#, deck rear of block .008, cut the exhaust to S3000 specs but leave the exhaust ports alone and you'll have one heck of a motor.

sidvishus

IF I am going to have the motor cut, why nut cut it to full S3000/Drag specs?

Are you talking about the "nitrous" bands?

I think I need to give Jim a call in the morning to talk about what I want/need...

thx.sid

chad202

You can, it's your motor.lol I'm not an expert but I think you're bottom would suffer a little unless you run a bunch of compression with race fuel. That's why I cut the chest and left the ports alone.

Last edited:

Casey G

I think ya'll are missing the point. yes a 280 or 260 with tight heads will have more punch then a drag with soft heads, but put those same heads on a drag and it will kill them.

a question was asked which motor would be better on a light weight boat and the answer is a drag. remember it only takes 10 min to swap heads.

RBT

Thanks Casey, you coverd that. Given equal compression the drag will always win. Look to ODBA, Superstock. The Drag ran 38 cc heads, while the 260 ran 26cc heads... that should tell you something.
You CAN NOT make a 260 into a drag, you can get close but the exhaust chest is cast differently. You can turn a 280 into a drag..... but the stumps at Merc changed the head bolt pattern.
Best engine builders..... that is like talking religion.
Put on the list... in no particualr order.
-Diamond
-Galen Burden
-Ron Anderson
-Brendan Power

ziemer

SO...

If your 260 was needing a sleeve...

would you...

1) get it sleeved and renicked and rebuild as stock 260.
2) get it sleeved and ported to DRAG specs and renicked.
3) get it steel sleeved on all six and ported to DRAG specs.
4) fix it back to stock, sell it and get a TRUE DRAG.

I have a XB2002 and want to have a STRONG all around motor. I fish, lake race, and take an occasional high speed run. I was very happy with my 260, but have always wanted a DRAG. IF you build a 260 to DRAG specs, isn't it a DRAG? And not to start a war, but who do you send the block to? Ruck, JSRE, Nichols, etc... I will put it together, I just want to know who is best to fix/port...

thx.sid
If you want a drag get a drag. :beer: Keep the 260 stock and sell it, if you want a drag motor. My opinion is that the stock unmolested 260 will always hold it's value better than a cut up one because they're getting rare. Plus, as others have mentioned, you will never make that 260 a drag no matter how much you cut on it. :wink

RBT

it is the same casting, with sleeves and creativity it can be done.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Fall off that wallet, beeyotch!! :laughing:laughing:laughing

The idle quality of the last drags is also excellent, as no racer wants his motor stalling or loading up when idling. My drags on both the XR01 and XB02 idle better than any of my 280's, which in turn idle better than the 260's.

Last edited:

RBT

Agreed on the idle, mine idle at 700 rpm and shift like a fishing motor.

Fishforcash

Stock 280SS with 260 electronics and a 60amp alt with a modified airconditioner clutch so you can dissconnect the alt for a quick hot lap big block jetboat smokin'.

Re-engage for stereos etc...

GFinch

As long as the battery is charged up it's not really going to take much power from the engine to turn. If you installed a switch between the exciter wire and the power source you could turn it on and off at will. Just don't forget to turn it back on.
I have OMCease with an altenator on it, a 680 Oddesey battery and haven't ran it low, of course I don't have a stereo.