Late to the party as usual ............... but at least I made it

StillFloats

Probationary User
New old guy here,

I'm about to turn 52 and have found the things in life that I like are really not widely popular anymore. I don't feel left out, but it means that the things I usually end up wanting are in short supply. I have always wanted to live on the water and finally have a home with a dock in Northern California in a little hidden pocket between the freezing pit of fog and wind that is San Francisco and the hot wine country of Sonoma and Napa. I have been reading about boats for about six-months now and am really interested in XS-2003 Allison GrandSport. Please feel free to comment and help me learn from your experience.

I like that GrandSports have beautiful architectural lines that are sexy and the boat seems to be about nuance rather than overblown "look at me" insecurities. I love that the designers were interested in providing for extreme efficiency rather than compensating for lack of refinement with outrageous horsepower. I love to go fast, but I like that the evolution of the boat over time didn't seem to be impacted by passing design fads. When many were painting boats with bright neon colors or obnoxious graphics, the Allison GrandSports continued with more simple, traditional stripes and color combinations. The direction of Paul and Darris Allison seemed to be refine from within through technological advances in high quality building materials and further understanding of fluid dynamics. Since the boats were extremely strong, light, and efficient, they were fast ...... even with smaller powerplants. I admire a boat that is fast rather than looking fast; one that is built for longevity rather than being the flavor of the moment. I have always admired people that don't talk a big game and run their mouth, but let their results speak for them. Integrity and results over flash and showmanship is preferable.

I was sad when I learned that the XS-2003 Allison GrandSport is no longer in production. I guess the market for the small single engine family boat is not economically viable for manufacturers. This probably means that I will have to be patient and become a student of the boat and make a smart purchase. I welcome all pointers and recommendations on where to look for potential boats and how I can learn to be a better operator. I am open to suggestions on what I should do to gain experience and learn how to handle fast, nimble boats better. Previously, I have operated 1950's Chris Crafts, 1970's and 80's Ski Natiques, and small sailboats. I look forward to learning from the community here.

Thanks for reading my ramblings,

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
The Grand Sport is a great boat. If you are patient, one may pop up for sale in time. Scream and Fly is a good place to keep an eye out. Members both here and there just may point you in the direction of one if you are lucky. Good people on both sites. There are listings sometimes on other boating sites too. Welcome, and good luck with your search.

StillFloats

Probationary User
The Grand Sport is a great boat. If you are patient, one may pop up for sale in time. Scream and Fly is a good place to keep an eye out. Members both here and there just may point you in the direction of one if you are lucky. Good people on both sites. There are listings sometimes on other boating sites too. Welcome, and good luck with your search.
Thanks for the welcoming response. I appreciate you taking the time to write to me.

Jr in Jax

Thanks for the welcoming response. I appreciate you taking the time to write to me.
I too reflect your feelings of alienation as an old guy who has owned a GSE since I had it built for me in 1998. I have not been on this board for a while due to/liver failure/transplant and losing my wife to dementia. I still put about 20 hours a month on my Grandsport. I am a lot of the reason Darus stopped producing the Grandsport. He does not like my 300xs, but I love it. I have told him/Nancy and Bill that I am ready to write the check if he finishes the 24 Grandsport.
Everyone enjoy your toys....

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
Yes, the 3 liter concern and the weight, Bill doesn't like that for sure. I had that conversation with him, but I am running a Promax on mine so he is happy, ha! Jr., I hope to see you sometime, I am in Jacksonville Beach but launch in Mandarin and run black creek regularly and the river from Palatka to the springs.

John_Richied

Your NOT late to the party you are just in time...

Allison's are as you said "strong, light and go FAST" Most Allison boats have NO stress cracks and a transom that is rock solid. What you might not know about Allison's are not only do they go 80 plus mph on GPS but they get there quick, fast and in a hurry. From the time you mash the throttle and trim they get on a plane quick and go!
We use to have an Allison rally every May in California since 2002. For some reason we stopped in 2020 China flu? and we may start again in 2024 at Lake Shasta (that's about as far northern California as you can get) :D That would be a good place for you to see an Allison model from the XB2002, XB2003, and a few 21'ers .

If you buy an Allison remember these statements (I read these on this site over 25 years ago and they are still true)
  • Resist the urge to sell your new to you Allison.
  • Seat time, seat time, seat time ...
  • NEVER chop the throttle
  • Seat time, seat time, seat time and once you learn, it's like riding a bike YOU GOT IT!
  • Never try to drive thru chine walk. Slow down, trim down and start again.
  • Seat time, seat time, seat time ...
  • You are probably going to think there is something wrong with your boat or setup. It's most likely the driver... seat time fixes a lot. ;)
Jr, I am sorry for your loss... it's good to see you again "bat-turn king"