KVD Cranking Rods??

Allyfishing

Anyone using them?? They any good?? I see them on Tackle Warehouse for 159.00 and our local Walmart has them for 139.00. Would they be the same or a cheap version??

K.Kiser

I'm bracing for a lashing for this statement, but we've had real good fish landing results and "anti-bait" shaking success with the 7' (or 7'6") long cork handle fiberglass rods from Academy.. I think they're less than $40, and we haven't had one break yet.. I actually have had less shake-off's with those rods than my Falcons... I'm certain the KVD rods are better so I'm not trying to be a moron, but just given another cheaper option that I know works pretty well for the weekend angler..

Allyfishing

Kiser, not a moron statement at all!! Great feedback from both. Sometimes we get caught up in the "better product is the more expensive product" which is true in most cases. But not always. Actually, the fiberglass rod for cranking was introduced years ago with the pro's.

thegoop

I also have a number of Abu vengeance rods I picked for $32. Half price couldn't resist. As long as you are having fun and hopefully catching fish, who cares. I gotta say though the villian is crazy light and a lot of fun to fish with. Worth the money for sure.

SLOmofo

The fish truly don't care! That is, until you stick um!

I have a CB rod that the finish came off and would have been replaced under warranty, just couldn't give it up because I knew IT couldn't be replaced with one that worked so well.

Tackle Warehouse is about 2 miles away from my shop in San Luis Obispo. Glad We don't fish tournaments anymore, I'd be pennyless!

K.Kiser

Actually, the fiberglass rod for cranking was introduced years ago with the pro's.
My Dad started seriously bass fishing in 1970-1971(ish), and fished tournaments until the mid 1990's... Most of the 1980's and 1990's when fiberglass weren't "the thing to use" he often commented while we were fishing about how well the older fiberglass rods worked for slinging some distance of a bait, and preventing shake-offs and how he'd like to have a few more of those old rods... Well about 7-8 years ago he started buying some at Academy Sports (Winner's Choice brand maybe?) and the fiberglass still does a fantastic job at slinging a crankbait/ lipless crankbait/ spinnerbait farther than any other high $$ rod in the boat...

I keep my hooks needlepoint sharp to help stick the fish with the flimsy tip, I use a very fast ratio reel to keep line pressure on the fish if the wind has blown a bow in the line, or if the fishing is closing the distance, and I almost never lose a fish from head shake...

cj707

They work great. Used glass rods in the past. Much lighter and not a bad price compared to Loomis etc. Sure you can always find a cheaper rod, but now days 139 is a cheaper rod