Kevin Ward, Jr.

Dave Hensley

I watched it. Looked like the kid made a dive away from the tire at the last split second. My very first thought was a quick throtlle hit just as a gesture back. Can't see wheel spin or hear motor. There will be many, many accounts that come out of what happened from the eye witnesses. They will not all be correct. Only two people really know and one of them is dead. I used to dirt track race and when somebody got out and made gestures or threatened throwing a helmet, many times I have made a move toward them to let them know we weren't playing. Yep, it was stupid but it happened. Not saying that happened in this case and hope it didn't.

Bobalouie

Simple fact is that guy would still be alive if he had not let his emotions get the best of him and got out of his race car. That crap has got to stop. Sanctioning bodies mandate roll bar sizes/materials, seat styles, helmets, safety straps and other protective gear for a reason, and all that stuff is only effective if you stay in your car.

If I was the Chairman of the Sanctioning body, I would get all the other sanctioning bodies together to get everyone on the same page, and I would roll out a new policy: If you get out of your car for any reason on the track, other than a reason deemed appropriate by the sanctioning body (ie fire) which would be determined on a case by case basis, YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR LIFE from participating in any form of automotive racing.

I am no fan of Tony Stewart, and if there were any driver I would have figured something like this would happen to, it would be him. That being said, I watched the video, and it is very difficult to tell if Tony made a move toward him or blipped the gas in response, or if the other guy was just too close. But again, slug it out in the pits if you want, but stay in your car on the track. Not to mention the guy was upset about something that was his own fault. He was on the outside and Tony was ahead of him, he put himself in a bad position, got tapped, and ended up in the wall.

Tragedy all the way around, and if Tony really didnt do anything, his career is pretty much over, I would guess.

Dave Hensley

Totally agree on penalties for leaving vehicle. I heard a new video surfaced. My gut says it will not be good for Smoke. Even if there are no criminal charges the civil suits will be horrendous and favorable to the deceased.

RBT

Looked to me like the dumbazz walked out into oncoming traffic.......
Like smoke or not, if he did or didn't make a move toward him all I saw was a dumb *** in traffic.
Sadly the courts probably won't see that, and see a perfect kid with a huge career that was targeted.

Sad

BGohr

I really don't watch NASCAR, or most any car racing, but if I was watching that video, and there were no names attached to either driver. I would think I was watching that show, Outrageous acts of Stupidity. It's a race track, it's dirt, it's dark, and the cars have no headlights, "what are my chances of walking across this dark, dirt track, in a black drivers suit?"

Make no mistake, I think this is the most terrible thing that could happen in a race, but certianly there is no resposibility in regards to driver of the car. If the guy on the track, stayed with his vehicle, he would still be here to talk about how he punched Tony in the face.........................

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Rule 1 on a racetrack or freeway: Don't go stepping into traffic.

Dogs do that. People are supposed to be smarter.

K.Kiser

Like the asphalt oval, reality tv, its all gotta be billy badass dramatic like WWE on wheels.. We've all let our temper overrun our better judgement before, but its almost expected on the track now and its sensationalized.. No matter the rules, it will always be "cool" to step outside them but said person has to be ready to pay for what the rule was intended to prevent.. I'm truly sorry it happened, but this and all aspects of life the men that blazed the trails before us weren't stupid so listen to the wisdom now, question it later and follow the rules..

Last edited:

WildWolf

Like the asphalt oval, reality tv, its all gotta be billy badass dramatic like WWE on wheels.. We've all let our temper overrun our better judgement before, but its almost expected on the track now and its sensationalized.. No matter the rules, it will always be "cool" to step outside them but said person has to be ready to pay for what the rule was intended to prevent.. I'm truly sorry it happened, but this and all aspects of life the men that blazed the trails before us weren't stupid so listen to the wisdom now, question it later and follow the rules..
:wink AMEN!!