JUST ORDERED AN ACU FROM BRUCATO

JR

After talking with Tony B. I decided to go ahead and order a ACU for my 225 PMAX SS. I was interested in a better idle in all the manatee zones here [leaner mixture] with enough richening on WOT to get me out of the hole. He was also suggesting that my MPG would get even better than it already was. Tony also shared that his personal setup is a '03 hull with a 225 PMAX, so he has recency-of-experience with my setup.
I'll let ya'll know what the results are.
JR

Yellowallison

HEY JR!!!

GOOD LUCK with yur ECU!!! Tony B makes sum sweet STUFF fo sure!! !-!

But yu got to understand yo 2003 isn't gunna never run as good as TONY's 2003 cuz its an formal YELLAR's 2003 and its got that magically touch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bob Ant

Yellar,

Is that the motor you had worked on at GPI? I heard Tony say that parts were anodized red! :)

That motor could be a 260 cause he sometimes get them mixed up.

Bob Anthony

BTW-- Where's Pinkie

JR

I just ordered a new set of BUZHWs to enable me to do some plug reads with the new box. My pistons probably have enough deposits to make the tops hard to read. I figured checking the heat zones on the new plugs would be the next best thing.
Does any one know what is the hottest/leanest cylinders on a Pmax 225 ss? It would seem like the two bottom holes would be hottest due to the shortest distance to the tuner. It that right? I know this has been discussed before but my memory is short...
JR

ALLISONMAN

bottom left is the leanest and top right is the richest and reading plugs is just about impossible unless you cut the ignition off at the rpm range you want to read!!!

TonyB

Yellowallison said:
HEY JR!!!

GOOD LUCK with yur ECU!!! Tony B makes sum sweet STUFF fo sure!! !-!

But yu got to understand yo 2003 isn't gunna never run as good as TONY's 2003 cuz its an formal YELLAR's 2003 and its got that magically touch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yeah, she runs real good!
She's got an easy life now :lol:

JR

A-man,
That is what I was planning on doing, Take it to an RPM range and pull the kill switch. I'll use my PWC to tow it back to the beach and check each plug's heat range. We'll probbly take it to the St. Mary's River.

I have also been thinking about "squeezing" my heads a little and Diamond Marine told me I would have to add some more fuel, which I could do with the ACU.
JR

ALLISONMAN

I do know something that the mercury computers are very complex and they actually use a small camera in the cylinders with thermocouplers and a bunch of high tech equipment to set the computers up and they are i think programed to milliseconds in rpms!!!! maybe jimmyb can tell more about this!!!! i do know that the computers from mercury are very very complex and way above my knowledge level of fuel curves!!! i have been involved with motec on race motors with cars and learning fuel curves, igntion curves and such are some brain racking stuff!!!!! sometimes yo think something and the opposite happens!!!!! and lean isnt always faster!!!! we had glenns drag motor too lean at wetumpka and lost 3 tenths in our et's!!! didnt tear up anything other than wearing out a set of rings but learn a lesson about making power is that you need fuel to do it!!!!!!

JR

We learned the same thing when I was go kart racing [unlimited 2-strokes]. Leaning would actually make less power and start burning pistons. The fuel requirement seems greater under acceleration rather than static high RPM.
Thanks much for the advice.
JR

jimmyb

well mercury uses pressure transducers in the cylinder heads to monitor cylinder pressure and to look for knock (which shows up very easily on the ocsilloscopes). Merc racing motors are generally calibrated to "lean best torque" meaning that for a given rpm, spark timing, throttle opening, etc, there is a minimum amount of fuel that is required to make power and not knock. That is generally where the motors are calibrated for. (note this for a simple EFI calibration). For an optimax motor, there is MUCH more complexity because there are many more variables... there is start of air, end of air, fuel air delay, fuel injection duration, spark timing, number of sparks (newer opti motors have multistrike coils that allow 2-16 sparks per cycle per cylinder). The current ECU's are much more complicated (with 3-d fuel curves, transient responses, warm up and idle maps) than the old school ones that are found on the original promax motors.

recalibrating the older ECU's on an EFI is simlar in principle to rejetting and tuning carbs, except with a computer, it is a lot simpler and it gives you more control (and you dont need a bunch of numbered drills!). Mercury calibrations are made to work on just about every boat, with any possible prop combination, under any condition (high to low altitudes) so sometimes the calibration is a compromise of performance and reliablity and functionality. By reprogramming or tweaking a calibration with a brucato PCU or similar device, you might be able to find some gains and make your motor run better under your conditions. Or, you might be more comfortable tuning closer to the "lean edge" especially if you are confident in your fuel supply. However, it is definately a "user beware" because if you screw up, you can turn your motor into a unusable pile of scrap aluminum very quickly.

Also, it is technically illegal to modify emissions controlled motors from something like 1998 and newer... so, user beware! :)

JR

Thanks Jimmy,
I am such a law abiding citizen that I would never cause my engine jeopardize life-on-the-planet [Al Gore is my Hero!!!!NOT].

Thanks for the setup info. I thought I would just do it the old fashioned way [verify with heat range reads on new plugs] since Tony B has already set the map for my engine.

My existing fuel map can not be that far off, except at idle, due to the spotless tuner in my engine after 1300+ operating hours without cleaning. My plug life is also phenominal.

Curtis always scratches his head every time he sees my tuner, due to the high hours.

JR

Well,
I got my ACU yesterday and decided that I had to Play-with-the-new-toy.
It took me just as long to pull out my old plugs/examine/install new ones as it did to install the ACU [15 minutes with a 7/16" socket and a phillips head]. I also just had to peek inside so I opened it [T-handle allen wrench] which is another 1 minute to do.

I cranked it up on the hose and immeadiately my prior 750 RPM idle went to 1500 RPM so I had to adjust it back. My final Idle was a 4-stroke smooth 650 RPM [600 rpm in the water with a 30" Chopper II]. Even with the idle lowered [to 650] it will sit and idle for 30 minutes unattended instead of a couple of minutes before [it would start loading up].
Stopped and got a fresh load of AMOCO 93 and headed for the ramp [with a bunch of tools, for just-in-case].

The engine cranks with a "Bark" like a drag motor on race gas. It never barked before even though it always sounded good enough to make people at the ramp look over at it.

I idled out of the no-wake at a rock solid 600 RPM with much reduced vibration [750 would be like a 4-stroke]. I then punched it just a little and the rpm increased as smoothly as my Wife's new Honda Pilot [it acted like the "Fishing Motor" that it is]. The throttle range before had several fat and lean spots that made response non-linear. I warmed it up a little and ran it in mid-range 5000@67MPH to a beach 6-7 miles down the river and killed the ignition for a "Plug read". The plugs [BUZHW surface gaps] had the most beautiful heat range with only one cylinder #3 just slightly richer [must be the 1300 hour injector]. I then felt brave enough to try some full throttle runs.
The results were amazing...I was able to Launch from a complete stop at 1/4 trim more than I have ever been able to before. The dead stop launch would stand the nose up and hold it there all the way to top speed [it was very windy with a 15 Knot quartering head wind] of 92.8. I also had 30 gallons of fuel and 550 # of anchors, tools, spare props, and Me.

I had Tony B set the limiter at 7K due to I'm still using the factory oil injection system and the engine pulled the 30" ChopperII right to the limiter [7K], which it would barely hit 6.8K before.
I saw a 20% increase in MPG on my Floscan meter at mid-range [below 6K@80 MPH], which I am very pleased with.

My engine runs like a sewing machine now, even though I and everyone else thought it was good before.

I still have a hard time believing that Tony could get the Plug-N-Play fuel map so close/linear. This was definitely some of the best money I have spent recently. It definitely made my boat more fun and will probably pay for it self in 2 years/less.

I am "One Happy Camper"
JR

whipper

ecu

JR so all ya did was install the acu. Its that simple? Its kinda like a chip for your truck in a way eh. Does it change the HP,Im guessing it does threw better fuel managment. Sounds awsome you got me thinking about it now. To pull a 30 to 7000 with a 225 is impresive. :grin: James

JR

James,
I am pretty sure it would pull the beat-up 30" more than the 7k if I would have had Tony set the limiter higher. 7K is still sort-of-risky with the stock oil injection pump. I am definitely getting more torque from the engine since I can launch with the much higher trim. I get no bounce coming out of the hole and it keeps the same [slightly nose high] attitude all the way up to top end. The acceleration is MUCH improved.

I am fairly sure I can Pull a 32" ChopperII and will probably buy one for next Summer. There is always the remote possibility of making the Century-Mark if I was willing to unload all the junk out of the boat and maybe run some VP fuel.
It was money well spent...
JR

LAAllison

JR, you're giving me an itch. Sounds like something I NEED. BTW where do you launch on The St Mary's? I lived in Hilliard 69-74 and spent a lot of time on that river--course that was before my Allison days.

Art

Roll Tide

JR

The ACU is some of my best spent money. I was shocked at the difference it made in a "Fishing Motor". I guess its about a 20% increase in bottom end torque out of the hole.
Art,
We launch at the ramp that is 1/2 mile East of US1 in Boulogne. Its a real nice ramp and has a fish camp RV park there also.

WOT runs on the St Marys are fun but sort of "hair raising" with all of the sharp turns and blind corners.

I once about took the top of my head off on my PWC when I came around a blind corner WOT [close to St George] and suprised a fisherman coming head on, he lost control of his aluminum boat and ended up crosswise in the very narrow channel. My Wife and I had to duck under a overhanging tree at about 50 MPH and I skinned off some of the little hair I have left. I am glad that I don't have a brain to damage.

I haven't seen that much blood since I tried a "backward handspring flip" off of a springboard.

JR

David Lanham

Great article and thanks for the update.

WOW is all I can say.

JR, you know history shows that your style of oil injection won't hold up at 7K RPM.

whipper

acu

JR I talked to Tony today. I will have the acu on for spring. Do ya know what your speed was at 7000 with the 30 must of been close to 100. I was playing with the prop calculator. What slip factor should I use roughly. I always have been using 6 because on gps it worked out with the 30 chopper and 28 drag 4 with my observed rpm. I guess different props will be more or less efficient? The hull efficiency should be the same given your right up on the pad all the time at wot I think. 10 for slip is to high or not? Now ya need the svs JR! James

TonyB

Glad you like it JR! :grin:
I've been tweaking on that particular fuel curve for two years on my Allison 2003/225 ProMax, so you know it's just right.
The fuel economy is a very nice bonus to the power gain.

JR

For some reason, the slip factor on the large Grandsport hull is higher than most Allisons except the '03 fissin' boat. I think Jeff Zs engine would probably push a ss2000 5-6 MPH faster than his Grandsport. My prop also has been on there for almost 4 seasons and has sustained hundreds of impacts, but does not look all that bad.
Every time Curtis looks at it he says "don't you think you need a new prop"?
I have an almost new ChopperII sitting on a shelf in my work shop that I dented within a month of putting it on. I think that putting a new prop on is some kind of a Curse since the brand new ChopperII before this one went to the bottom of the River at the Radical Boat Reunion [in Palatka] five years ago when my small propshaft broke.

David,
Everyone tells me I am on "Borrowed time" by running the factory stock oil injection but I am over 1300 hours [300+ since new powerhead] and have changed all of the Oil injection componets [including hoses] several times. I have even changed the worm drive gear and check the plastic drive gear every Spring during my "Annual Inspection" [just like aircraft]. Hopefully I won't be on here soon crying about my powerhead I lost due to failed oil injection. I think there are few other boats that get run at a greater percentage of the rev limiter for as many hours as mine. I get an ALLAH LOVES YOU card from the Arabs every year due to my fuel purchases, which are larger than most peoples mortgages.
I always tell my Wife that if Summer was any longer, we'd be broke....
JR