Johnstone with Merc lower units

brotherxb03

Went to the drags in butte Larose and quess what I saw? A couple of Johnstones running Mercury lower units. Hee Hee! Also all they had in the stock Bass boat class was Bullets. What's up with that?

A

AllisonNewb97

Hey brotha, how often do they have the races down in butte larose? Im down just south of Lafayette and I'd like to check it out sometime.

hack02

Bullet makes a fast hull. They have a wide pad and when set up well launch and carry a load well. Anybody that jumps on a knowledgable Bullet owner out on the lake better bring his A game.

CDave

AllisonNewb97 said:
Hey brotha, how often do they have the races down in butte larose? Im down just south of Lafayette and I'd like to check it out sometime.
The next race, and last of the season, will be in Vidor,TX. on Sept. 24-25th.

BrotherXB03, like Hack said Bullets are wider and in Stock Bass with a 225 Pro Max ya gotta weigh 2,150lbs. For me that would mean I'd have to add 600lbs. to be legal weight!
That's equivalent to drag racing with 3 average size adults, plus me, in my XB02. :shock:

brotherxb03

I new they had a weight limit,but I didn't know how much. So I would probally have to add 300 lbs to my xb03. Is that weight with the driver. and fuel? That is the first time I saw the drags. I heard they have one more race in vidore texas and the sechedule can be pulled up on the net each year. newbe97 you need to make the vidor race it's pretty neet,you can check out the set up and pick up motor mod tips. Hell even the OMC things sound good,but they have things like chevy pistons,billet heads,msd ignition ect,ect.

GPI Racing

That is exactly why I am such a proponent against weight rules and engine rule. The BOATS are SO different that each must be viewed with that in respect. We had 25 boats in the Drag races at New Ulm. By grouping the boats based on their performance and not engine or weight all our races were never more than 1 boat length apart. Those who doubt the fairness or the fact that it can be done have never tried it. The bullet has a HUGE advantage at the weight you listed. No Allison (or any other boat for that matter except maybe a Stroker) could run that heavy and be in the hunt. Grass roots racing has a place and we have proved it in the last 3 years. There are way more guys that would give this a try(if they could be competitive without selling the house to buy the equipment) than those who do it in the organisations, but the "rules" don't let the average guy have anything close to a competitive boat. At least not without extensive mods that cost cash and take the boat's practicality away.

Just some thought's but I hear ya...

Randy

brotherxb03

It look like some of the drivers play games with all them false starts to get the jump out the hole. I know it's hard with that rolling start though. That lake and ski class is a trip also. Who ski's from a stv with a 300?

CDave

brotherxb03 said:
I new they had a weight limit,but I didn't know how much. So I would probally have to add 300 lbs to my xb03. Is that weight with the driver. and fuel? That is the first time I saw the drags. I heard they have one more race in vidore texas and the sechedule can be pulled up on the net each year. newbe97 you need to make the vidor race it's pretty neet,you can check out the set up and pick up motor mod tips. Hell even the OMC things sound good,but they have things like chevy pistons,billet heads,msd ignition ect,ect.
Here is the DSRA website, http://www.dsraonline.com/

If ya have a Pro Max on your XB03 I'd run Mod Bass. Ya only have to weigh 1850lbs. with a PM in that class.

When ya weigh ya weigh with everything your gonna have in your boat when ya race, except Fuel. Never use fuel as weight, too risky. Also bring your boat cover incase it rains. If ya weigh in with wet carpet and race and the water evaporates ya gonna come in light. Comming in light is BAD.

On the turn arounds at the lights, there is a speed limit at the lights and it is "radared". So if ya come in fast the yellow will blink. If ya don't get slowed down fast enough ya get turned around.

CDave

GPI Racing said:
That is exactly why I am such a proponent against weight rules and engine rule. The BOATS are SO different that each must be viewed with that in respect. We had 25 boats in the Drag races at New Ulm. By grouping the boats based on their performance and not engine or weight all our races were never more than 1 boat length apart. Those who doubt the fairness or the fact that it can be done have never tried it. The bullet has a HUGE advantage at the weight you listed. No Allison (or any other boat for that matter except maybe a Stroker) could run that heavy and be in the hunt. Grass roots racing has a place and we have proved it in the last 3 years. There are way more guys that would give this a try(if they could be competitive without selling the house to buy the equipment) than those who do it in the organisations, but the "rules" don't let the average guy have anything close to a competitive boat. At least not without extensive mods that cost cash and take the boat's practicality away.

Just some thought's but I hear ya...

Randy
Randy, the DSRA has classes to fit most in. I could run in Mod Bass with a Merc 2.5 Super Stock powerhead at 1750lbs. Or Pro Max at 1850lbs. with no rev. limiter and a modifed tuner.

Also the Super Stock class has at least 20 boats at each race. There are so many boats in that class I hear they're gonna split the class into like an A/B class next year.

No one is ever gonna fit everyone in but the DSRA has done a great job. Every class has photo finishes at each race.

GPI Racing

Where are most of the DSRA races? I've never really checked but sounds like we should give them a look. If they only weren't a thousand miles away! Now with gas prices this game is going to get expensive...if it's not one thing it's another...I hate the gas price thing.

Randy

CDave

GPI Racing said:
Where are most of the DSRA races? I've never really checked but sounds like we should give them a look. If they only weren't a thousand miles away! Now with gas prices this game is going to get expensive...if it's not one thing it's another...I hate the gas price thing.

Randy
DSRA races in Louisiana and Southeast Texas. The Super Stock class is one heck of a class, low buck and tough competiton.