Jacos xb21

Darth VMAX

Anybody know why Jacos has a Torquemaster case on their XB21/250 on their lot? They mention "its a great combo"

Color me ignorant, but shouldn't it have a Sportmaster?

Morespeed4me

Yes a coned torquemaster is faster and a also handles better thern a sportmaster. My first Allison I bought new from Jaco's had a coned Torquemaster on it. It is a know fact that a coned torquemaster is faster and handles better then a sportmaster!!!! Had a Tooters coned Torquemaster on it. He is the man!!!!

JWW8

i am running a Titus Grisham coned TM on my XB-21 and like it very much except for one thing -- water pressure has dropped from what it was when i got it and I can't figure out why. It prevents me from running it high on the JP.

SmallJaw

I had no idea. I've been schooled in the court of public opinion that the drag on the TM was necessary to keep a boat like a Bullet's nose up due to the extra drag. When you say faster, how much faster per say. I've heard of 2 XB21's with XS250's and one ran 95.6 and the other 95.5 I think it was. Both ran SM lowers and both owners can afford any kind of lower they want. Both were maxed out at WOT and every tenth was squeezed out of the motor/boat. I just don't see a TM making that much difference. I may be wrong. Oh, my boat is one of those 2 boat's that hit 95+.

Darth VMAX

Even if a coned Torquemaster is a little faster, I personally would opt for slightly less speed and not ever have to worry about the issues that eventually will pop up with a coned lower (bondo and welds failing).

Now, if the handeling with a coned TM is that much better, I may reconsider. But a little more speed wouldn't be enough reason if I were in this situation.

my ,02

white03

I hade both at one time. A coned TM when I bought the xb2003 from Jaco and later a SM, both on the same 225 PM (dual cable steering). I can tell you first hand it is true, the coned TM was 2-3 mph faster than the SM and it handled slightly better.

Back years ago there was a post that went into great detail for the reasons why....seemed like it has to do with body length and width, and effect those factors have on drag and the amount of clean water getting to the prop...or something like that. maybe someone can find that old post??

As to cones, if it were me I would use a JC cone. He is the originator of the Tooter/Titus cone, and he is back in the "coning" business.

Having said all that I don't think I would expend the funds to go to a coned TM if I already had a SM. The last 2 mph are not worth it to me and with hydralic steering the handling differences would be hardly noticable.

TB21

I'd agree 100% if were talking on a 21' Allison. A properly built Torquemaster will be maybe 2 mph faster and have a little better driving manors but your right , they require constant maintenence on the fill work after awhile.
For what most of us are doing with the 21 a sporty is way to go.

02 or 03 whole different story....sportmaster is a turd!

Even if a coned Torquemaster is a little faster, I personally would opt for slightly less speed and not ever have to worry about the issues that eventually will pop up with a coned lower (bondo and welds failing).

Now, if the handeling with a coned TM is that much better, I may reconsider. But a little more speed wouldn't be enough reason if I were in this situation.

my ,02

SmallJaw

The post on this thread are one of the reason's I love this place. I learn things about my boat every time a question is asked it seems. I don't see me putting a TM on my boat for a couple of mph but I do remember the previous owner of my boat telling me that he had changed the lower out to make the fastest run, and then put the SM unit back on. I was assuming the whole time he was changing out SM units to go to a higher gear ration than 1:62. Now I am thinking it was to get a TM on for the run. Kool.:laughing

Allyfishing

The post on this thread are one of the reason's I love this place. I learn things about my boat every time a question is asked it seems. I don't see me putting a TM on my boat for a couple of mph but I do remember the previous owner of my boat telling me that he had changed the lower out to make the fastest run, and then put the SM unit back on. I was assuming the whole time he was changing out SM units to go to a higher gear ration than 1:62. Now I am thinking it was to get a TM on for the run. Kool.:laughing
Just to clear things up at least for my own little mind; the TM on the XB21 on the jaco's site is stock and not coned. So johnny yes, you are right about the TM on some Bullets that do not run higher than what a stock TM will allow and still maintain PSI. some Bullets are running 1 to 2" above the pad and they are NOT stock TM gearcases so no you would not trade out your sporty for one of those.

On the other hand what is suggested here is that a stock TM because of it's beefy internals would make a great candidate to have coned by someone like JC who knows how to build a surfacing gearcase for ultimate handling and speed.

correct me if I'm wrong

TB21

Thats exactly right Allyfishing.
I have no experience with a TM v's SM on this 21' Ally , but on a XB02 or 03 its day light and dark difference with a built 200 case or TM being better.

Just to clear things up at least for my own little mind; the TM on the XB21 on the jaco's site is stock and not coned. So johnny yes, you are right about the TM on some Bullets that do not run higher than what a stock TM will allow and still maintain PSI. some Bullets are running 1 to 2" above the pad and they are NOT stock TM gearcases so no you would not trade out your sporty for one of those.

On the other hand what is suggested here is that a stock TM because of it's beefy internals would make a great candidate to have coned by someone like JC who knows how to build a surfacing gearcase for ultimate handling and speed.

correct me if I'm wrong

SmallJaw

correct me if I'm wrong
I do know this much; after reading the responses such as yours, I would sure love to bolt one of the coned TM lowers on my boat just for the heck of it to see how it runs and handles. How else would a fellow know what his options are in the event he ever needed to change. I would not change out a perfectly good SM like I have, for a worked TM unless it was a tremendous difference in performance and UNLESS I had a catastrophic failure of my SM unit. In that case I'd love to know that my order for the new lower would be for the TM with the coned work.:wink

Chad Phillips

The XB21 at Jaco's has the new for 2013 Wingmaster case, it can be run higher than the Torquemaster. From what I understand from testing on a 21SS Bullet it can be run above pad with no blowout.