Jackplate ladder

KY_XB2003

Does anyone have any experience with the ladder Allison has that attaches to the jackplate? I'm going to need something for when I have the kids out tubing. Any pictures or prices?

Fl Boy in ILL

Step

I have one on my GSE that i bought in January, I haven't used it yet but it looks very sturdy and functional.

Rick

lightening rod

I have had one for quite awhile now, but am having trouble figuring out how to mount it. Some pictures would be awesome.

ziemer

Step

I've got one on my GS. It is very sturdy and works pretty good. However, it is still difficult to get into the boat in deep water. I will take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow.

One thing that I did notice is that if your motor is mounted too low on the jack plate there isn't enough room to mount the step. I had to drill both the step and the jack plate and I used (3) 3/8" stainless bolts.

Oh yeah, it's fairly pricey too, I think I paid 80.00 for mine directly from Darris in Jasper.

KY_XB2003

It almost sounds like some after market folding model bolted to the transom might be better??????????

A

Anonymous

Brian say it ain't so! You would deface that pretty boat with a ladder. :shock:

KY_XB2003

I honestly hate to, but if Jill or one of the kids cut their foot on the prop, or slipped off of the foil and busted a shin, I would wish I had the ladder then. But you're right, I hate to do it.

KY_XB2003

Maybe I could leave the ladder in the water while we are running and then the B boat guys in our club could keep up.............nah, probably not!

GotMyAlly

Have you seen the rope ladders that attach to the tie down cleat? A friend of mine has one....not sure where he got it though. Looks like a good alternative to a permanent ladder. That is what I would buy if I thought I needed a ladder.

ziemer

Here's some pics of the step from Allison...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ziemer1/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=9871.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ziemer1/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=a0a9.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ziemer1/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=40e1.jpg&.src=ph

Hopefully the links will work.
If they do, you can see that the bottom of the trim ram would not allow the step to be mounted if the motor was any lower on the jack plate. I held the step flush to the bottom of the jack plate.

gstorr

Probationary User
I have both the Allison step and a nylon PWC boarding ladder on my XTB. To tell the truth the PWC ladde works better in my view; the Allision step is too low.

Blue Gray in PA

What does the PWC ladder look like? Is it permanently attached? I have an XTB too and the motor is too low for the Allison step. Is this something I can buy at a Boater's World? My kids like to tube and swim in addition to fishing so I need a good return system.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
ladder

btw, the ladder does not work so well on an ss motor. The ss is usually mounted as low as it can go, on the highest hole. I ended up drilling holes through the #3 mounting bracket hole and jackplate. Had to use 3/4 steal spacers so it would not hit hydraulic cylinder. If you put at right height the cavitation plate will miss the Allison ladder and you'll keep most the negative trim.

JR

Boarding from the rear

When I have a skiier board in deep water I just have them place their foot above the top of the Allison Hydrofoil Plate and climb in using it. It seems plenty strong and supports people like me.
JR

RB in NM

I carry a small 3 rung hook ladder that fits nicely over the side of my 03 there by the rear deck compartments. It fits inside the two rear compartments. works sweet.
Russ

RedAllison

I agree with Russ, the simple solution is the ladder. Kev used to have one pictured somewhere but I cant find it. Its the simple 3 rung "hook over" ladder that you can buy from BPS, Overtons etc. The best part is that you dont even have to install the bumpers or brackets on them that are designed to keep the ladder out from the boat a few inches. If you hook the ladder on the reardeck of a 02 or 03 (dont know about 21s havent seen one on them but Im sure it would still work) the ladder will be held away from the boat by the wings on the hull, works great as the only parts touching the hull are inside the boat (in the rough texture) and the frame/rungs of the ladder rest solidly on the rubrail on the wing. The ladder is about as "drunkproof" as I have seen and is also very easy for women and children to board from deep water with. Beats grunting and pulling yourself up the swimdecks on the transom and the built in ladders on the jackplate/engine area seem neat but one slip and you can get seriously hurt with all that sharp metal back there. Likewise I also prefer the ladder on the side of the boat as it keeps the un-knowing from trying to use your foil as a step! The ladder also folds flat and fits neatly into the rear compartments and certainly under the front deck.

I'll see if I can find a pic,
RA

GotMyAlly

Or you can spend an hour a day in the gym, in which case you won't need a ladder....

On second thought, the ladder might be a better solution.

I looked in Overtons last night and they have a PWC ladder that looks like it would hook to the cleat. Pretty cheap too.

RedAllison

Yep dats ZACTLY the ladder Kev.

If the boat was in the water you would see the top rung about even with the water line and the other two more than deep enough for easy loading (or a soft, splashless entry into the water for those ladies worried about their hair!).

Neal with regards too the rope ladders, they wont really work in all practicality. The idea seems neat but when you try it you find the ladder like in Kevs pic the easiest and sturdiest. If you hang a rope on a side cleat or from the handrails on the rear swimdecks you will find that the ladder then goes up under the boat when you put your foot in it and weight on them. The rigid ladder in the pics is held in place by the metal hooks (they look like plastic but are only coated, they are plenty strong) and are stationary because they are resting against the rubrail.

Simple and only about $20 or so,
RA