jack plate noise

When I run my jackplate up and down at the dock with the engine off it makes a real bad sounding groan,grumble, gurgle racket. Not really a metallic noise but it sure isn't a nice smooth whine like the trim/tilt sound. are they all like that or should I be worried?

fishnfireman

My CMC makes all kinds of noise.
But it's mostly when everything is dry. It is a lot quieter once it has been submerged in the water. These noises are from the dry moving parts rubbing and or road grime getting between the bushings and the aluminum. I try to clean mine up where the bushings ride after a long haul. Even then I will put some WD-40 on those parts that are sliding up and down. Before running it.

GeoL

Ranch,
It has always made that noise, like my cat mating with your dawg, when dry.
Like the FnF said, no noise when wet, I was told not to lube them.

I think it is CMC plate, it came with the boat from Wayne's Marine in Lk City FL.

Borrow my GPS anytime you want, that is what the cigarette lighter receptible is for.

Geo

fishnfireman

When I first got this one. It would hang on one side. So I got the callipers out and got to checking things....Turned out one of the machined slots where the brass bushings slide up and down was a tad smaller than the rest. Half a day labor and a few pieces of wet-dry sand paper it was working smooth.

Another TIP ---if you have to haul long distance, raise the jack plate all the way up or down..It will help keep the bushings from getting flat spots !!!!