J.C.'s coned CLE lower unit

jdb35

I recently had J.C. to cone my CLE lower unit. As promised I am posting pictures of the lower unit. I am extremely impressed with his work.
Jeff

jdb35

Thanks Stanton, you sent me to the right man. I couldn't be happier with it so far. The only problem is I have not got to run it yet. My national guard unit has been assigned to assist with the protection and clean-up of Dauphin Island. Looks like it may be awhile before I get to take it for a test run.

jdb35

I'm not bragging on the performance since I have not taken it out yet, but you got to admit it does pass the eye test.

1badss

Banned
Yes it does look good. I'll have mine done if yours performs good. I just have heard not so good things about them. Actually I was told by a very reliable source to get a different LU and have it done.

bassracr

Yes it does look good. I'll have mine done if yours performs good. I just have heard not so good things about them. Actually I was told by a very reliable source to get a different LU and have it done.
coned cle's work just fine. whoever told you that, don't know what they are talking about. for his application it will work nicely. i have had sportmasters on my boat in the past , and have a coned cle on it now. if set up properly they work great. if your putting this on a boat capable of over 110 m.p.h , that may be a different story. i have no experience with that. having owned my boat for over 15 yrs. with many different motors and gearcases and setups. i can tell you, i have spent ALOT of time over 90 mph with a coned cle ..and never had an issue with the way it handled or drove.

Last edited:

jdb35

Bassrcr that is what I have read and been told. The guys with the heavier hulls like the XB03 seem to prefer coned cle's over the sportsmasters. That is the reason I decided to go ahead and have it coned. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.Thanks for the info, I think I will be quite satisfied. I don't care about whether or not it will break triple digits or not, but I do want as much performance as I can get out of the promax. Allisons are meant to be fast and that is what I want.

1badss

Banned
coned cle's work just fine. whoever told you that, don't know what they are talking about. for his application it will work nicely. i have had sportmasters on my boat in the past , and have a coned cle on it now. if set up properly they work great. if your putting this on a boat capable of over 110 m.p.h , that may be a different story. i have no experience with that. having owned my boat for over 15 yrs. with many different motors and gearcases and setups. i can tell you, i have spent ALOT of time over 90 mph with a coned cle ..and never had an issue with the way it handled or drove.
The guy is one of the top three cone people. Told me if it was him he'd get a diff L/U to put cone on. Said for the 03 with big hp the cle wa not the best choice.

h2oskiier30

I can't think of a better choice than a coned cle or a sportmaster...since both have the same heavy duty internals.

bassracr

Bassrcr that is what I have read and been told. The guys with the heavier hulls like the XB03 seem to prefer coned cle's over the sportsmasters. That is the reason I decided to go ahead and have it coned. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.Thanks for the info, I think I will be quite satisfied. I don't care about whether or not it will break triple digits or not, but I do want as much performance as I can get out of the promax. Allisons are meant to be fast and that is what I want.
you will be well satisfied . that gearcase will work very well on your setup. if you have cable steering, make sure your cables are good and free and all the slop is adjusted out of your cables.( if you dont have hydraulic}.also if you look back at your motor when rocking the wheel back and forth, and notice some movement from the front tube in the holder or cable..allison makes some close tolerance peices(tube and tube holder) that will get rid of that play.(alot of standard peices seem to find their way on these boats}. properly set up... with some seat time, you should be able to wring it out.. top speed in smooth water,for as long as you want to. many people have alot of problems driving at speed in these boats, due to improper setup, what you did to your gearcase was the first step in the right direction, verify the above, and with the right setback and engine height.. your all set.. wear your life jacket and kill switch tethered and have fun, again ..properly set up ,your gonna be well satisfied