IPhones......

FlatOutAlly

How many of you guys are due for a new phone and are concerned about Steve Jobs watching your every move? I need a new one and like the IPhone features, but I'm just not sure about the invasion of privacy issue. If it was just people chasing me because they think they take my Allison, that would be one thing, but......

FlatOutAlly

Thanks, Erik. Bear in mind that we old, retired guys sometimes go places where we'd rather not be tracked. If they would just encrypt the database, I'd probably get one. Still might turn it off 'at times', doncha know? :beer:

jimbob88

Have sprints version. Keep getting letters from ' anonymous' stating I have put too many overseers in therapy/ rehab. Not sure what that is about?...:rolleyes:

FlatOutAlly

You're not understanding the IPhone/IPad issue, SLOmofo. When it's on, you're leaving a pecker track EVERYWHERE you go. The biggest problem is, it's an unencrypted database. A fairly uneducated hack could crack it. This is all about personal privacy. It's not just about where you make calls from. If we could just turn this feature on for the terrorists, that would be one thing....

Last edited:

FlatOutAlly

It's a bit of a quandry, SLOmofo. I really don't care that much about being trailed, but there is a principle involved, eh? I'm likely going to take the plunge and spring for an IPhone, but it would be nice if Apple protected their customers just a BIT more than they are right now. But an encrypted database may detract from the user 'experience' (ie. performance). Time will tell. May just hang onto my low-tech phone for a little while longer? On the bright side, this technology made UBL fish food.....

GotMyAlly

Encrypted DB isn't the answer. How about just do away with the DB altogether. No need to log where I go. I'd look at an Android OS phone.....at least the OS is open source so if something like that surfaces, there'll be 100 free apps to disable it.

h2oskiier30

Encrypted DB isn't the answer. How about just do away with the DB altogether. No need to log where I go. I'd look at an Android OS phone.....at least the OS is open source so if something like that surfaces, there'll be 100 free apps to disable it.
I agree. I was intrigued with the Iphones, but settled on an Android platform because I didn't want to have to pay Apple for every app that I wanted. You can find a free app for just about anything for an Android phone...Apple wants its palm greased for all of them.

jeffk2

I just downloaded the new update, I think the issue is gone from what I understand
I love my phone. The Gps speedo works great.

F2008

I just downloaded the new update, I think the issue is gone from what I understand. I love my phone........
Me too.

I assume you're talking about the Iphone 4, Jeff. Did you notice any performance degradation after installing the firmware update?
I'm using a 4 also Cliff and 3g and wi-fi performance seems the same.

FlatOutAlly

I'm using a 4 also Cliff and 3g and wi-fi performance seems the same.
Thanks, Don. Always looking for familiar opinion. My son is coming home this weekend under the guise of Mother's Day, but what he really wants is a new phone, since he and I got ours at the same time and thus, we're both eligible for an update (on my dime, oh course)..... I could live a long time with what I have, but his gf is teasing him about his 'lack of technology'. Geesh.... He can't have it, if I don't..... doncha know? :smile

Texan

I had the iPhone 3G and upgraded last year to the 4. I gave my son the 3G. I can track him when I feel like I need to though the Mobile Me ap. Now my wife wants one but she barely knows where the O-N-O-F-F switch is on a computer and darn sure doesn't text much. She's got a Samsung Rugby flip phone because she is tough on phones.

I like my phone. I like it much better since I found a cradle I can drop it into when traveling. It charges the phone and I have a booster with an external antenna to increase coverage in the sticks. The tracking thing doesn't bother me much and since there is supposed to be an upgrade, I'll probably get that done today. My company has an Enterprise server so I get my corporate e-mail on the phone faster than I do when I'm hooked up on the lap-top. I do like that.

What I've grown to dislike is being 'plugged in' all the damn time. People will send me a message and get pissed that I don't respond in short order. I prefer to be able to absorb the information at my leisure rather than at theirs. Used to be the phone was mounted in your car and people understood if you didn't answer. Nowadays people get torked if you don't answer because the phones are all pocket sized and they feel like you should have it with you at all times to be at their beckon call. Recently I had a little 'Come to Jesus' talk with myself after a brush with a potentially serious heart condition that has given me a new outlook on that sort of crap and I'm beginning to leave my phone in the car so it doesn't add to a potentially stressful situation.

Back to the phone itself, it has rendered a few other gadgets obsolete like my TomTom. Unless you are way out in the sticks the mapping app is great. But then I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan because I've had it, or a variation of it so long.

If you do get one, make darn sure you get an Otter Box case for it. Replacing one out of contract or without an available upgrade is expensive. They are a little bulky but I'll trade the bulk for the protection just about any day.

Last edited:

FlatOutAlly

Get info, Texan! I really like the sounds of the Mobile Me app, but it's getting to the point where, where he is just stresses me more... Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Not to hijack my own thread, but does everyone's kids have NO EARTHLY IDEA of the importance of Mother's Day??? Where would ANY of us be without MOM??