IHBA Red Bluff race cancelled / moved

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well ain't it just the luck, last weekend (as those who were at the WAR can testify) the weather was HOT and like summer, this weekend for the IHBA right on schedule it turned to crap on qualifying day, rain and wind up to 35mph coming up the course and whitecaps on the course.

I got to make one pass and screwed up because their transmitter was fouled up and I could not hear their directions. So when in doubt I saw the numbers and nailed it, but their computer wasn't set to record my run. :idiot:mad:

About three hours later they called all the drivers together to tell them the event was scrubbed for the weekend, and that they will do it again next weekend.

I'll be back.

K

Kevin from FL

Sorry to hear that Lou...hey...at least you've got the first time jitters behind you :beer:

FLYING BUTCHER

Hey man, tell me about the first time watching the lights coming down on the tree????????????

RedAllison

Sounds like a conspiracy 'Doggg, they heard boutcho mosheen and said fekkit we outta here! :help

One more weeka plannin and get ready, :beer:
RA

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
LMAO RA, Hey Butch tell me about those numbers!!! :cuss They scroll in half-second increments, i.e. you have FIVE seconds when they start, not TEN like I thought, so it's 9876543210..gone!

Here I thought at about 8 I'd slam into gear at the rope, now I'm thinkin I need to shift into gear when the solid amber goes on!!!

Yea Kevin, talk about jitters, the wind was blowing the boat sideways or trying to, I had to hold the rope as hard as I could to try and keep her lined up straight, it was the perfect storm for a first run. Radio fouled up and everything.

FLYING BUTCHER

Dude you make me go back to the very first time I raced there!!! You aren't chittin the numbers go fast!!! I would put into gear for sure just after she goes solid, the more you watch it the more comfortable you will get with it. Try getting into line early that way you will be at the end of the rope and you can watch the other guys in your class leave and study the lights. 8 will most likely be to early in the half second deal, more like 7 but trial and error will be best teacher for ya. Clocking ya down to the thousanths of a second on both ends of the track!!! PRICELESS!! Wish I could have been there to watch ya, brings back memories big time TYPE "A" OH YEA!!!!! Enjoy ole friend be safe

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Just back home what a blast, what a rush!!! Was running high 10's in qualifying and was learning the lights and the :cuss rope stuff.

Today pulled a 10.09 off in the 10-sec class, was beat by 0.06 seconds 10.03 on account of my R/T being worse. He was 99 at finish and I was 104.54.

Got the bug now; next race June 27-28 Chowchilla, more later, whipped.

FLYING BUTCHER

Now your talkin!! Watch out you got the bug for sure!!! Congrads on the good time-sounds like ya got her dialed in for ET now that peskie RT??

badbait

Well let me say this Lou did more than pretty good. He did excellent for his first race. Anytime you can run a 10.09 in the 10 second class your definetely in the hunt. I went both weekends to watch Lou and gave him my 2-cents. There were other OB guys there doing the same. Bottom line we should be very proud of Lou for pulling off a 10.33 in his last practice run after making some adjustment to his trim computer and then going back on the day the runs count and running a 10.09 which was a great pass for anybody in that class I don't care how much experience you have. As for the reaction time that will come with a little more experience. I think Lou learned more last weekend about drag racing than he could of learned making 100 passes without a clock on him. One of the most important things was having his time given to him at half-track. He was able to compare it with other outboards and see where he needed improvement. He made some adjustments and thats what it took. Great job Lou I am very proud of you.

BigRedAlli

Dam Lou!!! A 10.09!!! Bet that got their attention...:cool

Congratulations on a GREAT first race. Hooked for sure now!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
John, Butch, Bill, Marty, thank you so much for the congratulations and for all your help and support both recently and over the years. Everything that has gone on before at all the WARs and the ODBA race spectating and all of your experience and advice was instrumental in getting me at least this far. I didn't win nuthin but felt like a winner anyway, getting the respect of the other OB guys and some of the car motor guys too. Foremost of all I have Jeff Calbaugh and Bryan Welch to thank for coming all the way out here to help a crazy obsessed ignurnt carp racer like me...Shook can I get an amen?

Also a huge thanks to Kevin and Stacy Kraft and Kenny Shaw, they taught me a LOT that I had no idea of knowing so it was a crash course and they were all very patient with me and encouraging!!! Kevin even bolted the warm-up load wheel onto my propshaft the last morning when we were running behind, that's why Kevin got the "Sportsman of the Year" IHBA award in 2007!!! He is that kind of guy, complete stand-up man and helpful on every level.

Butch, you were absolutely right, that rope is a beeyotch and any breeze makes your boat want to go
sideways...heck the XR even is shaped like a weather vane, so it loves to point into the wind...:laughing I tell you they ought to have a disclaimer somewhere in the rules that you need to be pumping iron all winter long so you can twist your boat back into line against the wind. They (the other racers on the rope) were all hollerin at me at the same time with every type of advice on how to move the boat: "Go hand-over-hand!! Spread your arms out wide! Lean over the bow!" etc. I felt like :idiot After all that, I realized the best way was to move to the end of the boat that had the greatest amount of movement and twist the rope from there. That, and once getting lined up, sit on the back of the driver's seat (top) and use my hands as "human cleats" to hold that :cuss rope locked to each side of the cockpit to prevent any TRACE of deflection. Once it starts pivoting, FUGGET about trying to stop it, you gotta stop it before it picks up speed.

Then like the rope adventures aren't enough to make you sweat thru every layer and head dripping inside the helmet, sit back down, replace your unplugged lanyard...OK is the motor pointed straight? (turn around and look, dummy)...is the trim all the way down? ....Is the timer reset?.....Is the helmet visor down?....Have the earbuds of the raceiver fallen out of my ears? (Used scotch tape over the head for those, after the first run, LOL) And somewhere during this checkist the starter says, "LIGHTS!" And you watch the amber flashing and your heart starts pumpin and then the bar of numbers goes solid and I figured out you can count off 5 seconds for the bar and at the last moment, SHIFT! and pull yur hand out onto the wheel while your left hand holds the rope and all of a sudden it's 987654321....and I figured out that I need to leave on a 7, even "7.5" had me redlighting by -.164 and 7 has me at about .260 so there's work to be done there.

Next year...hot heads...and a lot more practice with that reaction time game online LOL...Hey I need to start eating that Ginko-Biloba stuff....:laughing I am rapidly heading into senior citizen territory.....But..am I addicted now? Uh...YEAH BABY!!

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

Chit man, you are making me relive every thing you are going through!!! And a lot of guys think racin is not that hard!!! You did forget to mention another thing. When the starting lights come on and the numbers are flashing you start your engine and if racing a car engine you have to LOOK AT YOUR TACH TO SEE IF YOUR ENGINE IS EVEN RUNNING??? The car engines are so loud you can't even tell if you are started? The ole clock on both ends puts it to ya for sure. Wait till you start spending MORE money than you allready have to get everything "dialed" in, that is if nothing breaks?? It is a rush for sure. It will take you a season to get it down, and hopefully the wind will slow down-yep been there done that, boat drifting side to side and lights headed down??? Great read though, wish I could have been there. Tell the Kevin man I said hello-he is a great one for sure!

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
You did forget to mention another thing. When the starting lights come on and the numbers are flashing you start your engine and if racing a car engine you have to LOOK AT YOUR TACH TO SEE IF YOUR ENGINE IS EVEN RUNNING??? The car engines are so loud you can't even tell if you are started?
:LMAO:

YEP, THAT'S IT!! Plus the part when they are next to you in line (not racing against them, but they are next to take off against their competitors) and then they blast off and it's like 140db inside your helmet...THAT is nice on the nerves too...:laughing

All of it is just too much fun...Everyone should try it, hey Allisonman, "So easy a caveman could drive it!!!" :laughing:laughing

Rocket

Just back home what a blast, what a rush!!! Was running high 10's in qualifying and was learning the lights and the :cuss rope stuff.

Today pulled a 10.09 off in the 10-sec class, was beat by 0.06 seconds 10.03 on account of my R/T being worse. He was 99 at finish and I was 104.54.

Got the bug now; next race June 27-28 Chowchilla, more later, whipped.

Congrats!!!! :beer: That's some dang good numbers!!!! Looks like you are going to give th em Car mota's a run for the money this season!!!

Go Allisons!!!!