If a guy wants a 200 APX?

BigRWater

If a guy wanted a Mercury Racing to 200 APX... ...how would you get one? What do you think of this motor? How would it perform on a XB 2003 or an XB 2002?

How would you compare it to my 225 Mariner Super Magnum with a 15 inch shaft.

Thanks

stuart gary

the motor should perform well on any boat that can carry the weight. however having only a straight drive doesn't make it to user friendly to use on your fishing or runabout boat and the midsection is too short. 12" if it was 15" it might be doable. if mercury made the motor for racing they will likely build a motor for boats like the allisons or bullets or other performance hulls. time will tell

Lotus 50

Merc claims its stronger than the 200XS. My 200XS is pretty close to my old Promax 225. I guess that means the APX would be at least as strong as a 225PM. But you might want to wait for a Sportmaster gearcase version. I don't know about recreational prop selection with 1.13 gears. You can't buy one unless you are a race team.

BigRWater

the motor should perform well on any boat that can carry the weight. however having only a straight drive doesn't make it to user friendly to use on your fishing or runabout boat and the midsection is too short. 12" if it was 15" it might be doable. if mercury made the motor for racing they will likely build a motor for boats like the allisons or bullets or other performance hulls. time will tell
Thank you for the response. Items here that I didn't know about and/or think about. Does straight drive mean no reverse?

stuart gary

that is correct. it has no neutral or reverse. forward gear only , as lotus mentioned if a sportsmaster gearcase was offered then sales would surely increase

bassracr

I think you would find If you could get a proper lower unit ,it would perform similar to a 1996 mercury 200 or any other year for that matter. I have found from first hand experience 200 horsepower is 200 horsepower. 150 horsepower is 150 horsepower, Etc. In spite of what mercury or any one else “claims”

bassracr

Your 225 pro super magnum with a 15 inch mid is an awesome package on your boat. I am confident if you spent the money for an apx (Even if it was available with a sport master) you would be sorely disappointed in the performance department compared to what you have now for money spent.

stuart gary

that statement might be true if everything was exact. I have several 200hp engines and just by eye sight they are that 200hp, however the engines run at 6500rpm all the way to 10,500rpm and compression is different making them different in terms of how much horsepower is actually produced. Unfortunately at some point we will have to switch to a 4-stroke engine

bassracr

that statement might be true if everything was exact. I have several 200hp engines and just by eye sight they are that 200hp, however the engines run at 6500rpm all the way to 10,500rpm and compression is different making them different in terms of how much horsepower is actually produced. Unfortunately at some point we will have to switch to a 4-stroke engine
If both engines made 200 peak horsepower on a dyno the “overall “ performance on his boat would be similar. The 6500 rpm motor would have more torque thru the lower rpm range allowing for a higher pitched prop. The engine making 200hp at 10,500 rpms would have less torque in the lower rpms requiring a lower pitch prop to get the boat going. The end result may not be exactly the same but it’s going to be to close for the average guy to spend 25k plus thinking you are going to have any performance gains.
I know some of the newer motors may have the advantages of being quieter, more fuel efficient, cleaner etc. unfortunately usually at more weight and very costly on the wallet. If I were in the original posters shoes and was considering a repower, I think I would look into what the member PKSTV has been doing on here.
Brand new 225 promax power head with vst delete and a few other tricks. I really like what he’s doing to keep those 2.5’s alive. That setup is hard to beat on a 2003 or 2002