I tried to drive an xb2003

1badss

Banned
today and it humbeled me. The VERY first time I ever did a bat turn. All I could think was, this is interesting. I have NO idea why it did it. Only running about 75mph or so. It sure handeld wierd. Are all the 03s hard to drive?

GotMyAlly

I've driven several and the center steers were much easier than side steers, and a worked gearcase made a big difference on mine.

BruceMerc

When running a side steering and running one person, you have to add weight to the port side to help level off. When running with 2, have the other person sit to the port side in the back and you won't have any problems.

1badss

Banned
I've driven several and the center steers were much easier than side steers, and a worked gearcase made a big difference on mine.
Well if I'm going to drive center steer I might as well buy an xb02. I finally have some boats to look at this weekend and no 02s or center steer 03s. Sux to be me, this week anyway!

1badss

Banned
When running a side steering and running one person, you have to add weight to the port side to help level off. When running with 2, have the other person sit to the port side in the back and you won't have any problems.
Had fity pounds of shot in the back port side plus a battery. I may have to buy an 02 cause I aint putting up with this ****.

FlatOutAlly

Did you lift suddenly? Don't give up. It's a learned skill. At 75 it's probably not a balance issue, but a setup or cockpit problem. More info on the setup. Motor, setback, height, prop, bac, etc.

Last edited:

GFinch

What do you mean by weird? Is it set up to fish with 1 or 2 people. Did it sit level with you in it sitting at rest. I learned to drive mine with a butchered lip. Like sitting on a basket ball on top of a beach ball. Check the last few feet of the pad and the lip to see if it's uniform.

GotMyAlly

Well if I'm going to drive center steer I might as well buy an xb02. I finally have some boats to look at this weekend and no 02s or center steer 03s. Sux to be me, this week anyway!
Depends on what you are gonna use it for. There are still some benefits that a center steer 03 has over an 02 if you fish a lot. The 03 won't run with the 02 though, if that's what you're expecting. But set up right, the 03 doesn't have to be a battle to drive.

Mine was awful when i got it. Just took some time to get the setup right, mainly prop and gearcase.

whipper

What do you mean by weird? Is it set up to fish with 1 or 2 people. Did it sit level with you in it sitting at rest. I learned to drive mine with a butchered lip. Like sitting on a basket ball on top of a beach ball. Check the last few feet of the pad and the lip to see if it's uniform.
Good point. Alot of guys repair that area. I had one side to high on mine one of the first times I repaired a stick chip. That made for an intersting ride for the test run. The bow was circling going from one side of the pad to the next kinda like what my unsteady hand does when I look threw a scope!!:very happy I took some time and made sure everything was uniform when sanding and then she handeld like dream come true.
If you can drive an Allison then there was something wrong going on there. Theres no such thing as a bad handeling Allison if everything is OK.

Larry D

I have been driving Allisons for the last 15 years but never an 03 before.
No I didn't lift. Anyway, got to go to bed. Leaving for Nawleans tomorrow
morning.
Where are you going to in new orleans. might beable to meet you and bring the rings. later Larry D

BruceMerc

Had fity pounds of shot in the back port side plus a battery. I may have to buy an 02 cause I aint putting up with this ****.
I agree with as others have already stated, sounds like it could be engine height, prop or pad. I drove 02's before my 03 and once set-up and balance are achieved, they are not that different.

rmills280

my guess is motor height and prop, i have a prop that works great with just me but will break loose at low speed if i don't lower the jack plate for passenger or full live well, same prop will hold good on my ss no matter where the motor is.

RedAllison

If you spun it at 75 I'd hafta suspect gearcase height (assumin we're talkin a stock pad/lip 03). You DO have to balance a side steer 03 but even if it's not you should be able to "wrestle" it along at 75. What prop did the boat have? The 8 years I owned my 03, the only time it ever "let go" below speeds of 80 was with crappy props that weren't designed for surfacing, HI PO hulls anyway. But even then they would just drop the bow but they never hooked. That's why I wonder how high the case was?

No doubt about it tho, the bigger up the Allison scale you go the more "driving" they require at higher speeds. Simple fact, an XR01 locks in and drives easier than an XB02... An XB02 locks in and drives better than an XB03... an XB03 than a XB21 etc...

The bigger hole you're punchin and more weight you're balancing the more input it's gonna require to keep lined out. If you want a MASH THE GAS AND CRUISE 95-100+ basser than getta XB02!!! :cool
RA

Fishforcash

First one I drove I hated it. Later in the day I drove another and with some tips I was running into the 80s. I bought one later in the year and within a hour I was ready to put it on the market but after about 20 minutes on the phone with some leveling and tips I was running 90+.

It takes some seat time and a few tips here and there, but they ain't your Daddy's Ranger either. Once you get the hang of it, they become very simple and the steering corrections become instinctual.

The more I ran the boat and worked on the setup the more I loved it. They are really an amazing piece of art with high performance attached.

1badss

Banned
If you spun it at 75 I'd hafta suspect gearcase height (assumin we're talkin a stock pad/lip 03). You DO have to balance a side steer 03 but even if it's not you should be able to "wrestle" it along at 75. What prop did the boat have? The 8 years I owned my 03, the only time it ever "let go" below speeds of 80 was with crappy props that weren't designed for surfacing, HI PO hulls anyway. But even then they would just drop the bow but they never hooked. That's why I wonder how high the case was?

No doubt about it tho, the bigger up the Allison scale you go the more "driving" they require at higher speeds. Simple fact, an XR01 locks in and drives easier than an XB02... An XB02 locks in and drives better than an XB03... an XB03 than a XB21 etc...

The bigger hole you're punchin and more weight you're balancing the more input it's gonna require to keep lined out. If you want a MASH THE GAS AND CRUISE 95-100+ basser than getta XB02!!! :cool
RA

Did you ever restore that Allison I gave you 10 years ago?

BTW, the Ally I drove was a friends and I haven't had a chance to check the setup yet. I left for here ( New Orleans) the next day to buy a boat.

RedAllison

Did you ever restore that Allison I gave you 10 years ago?

BTW, the Ally I drove was a friends and I haven't had a chance to check the setup yet. I left for here ( New Orleans) the next day to buy a boat.
Nope, she's sittin quietly in a storage bay behind my deckboat. Sooner or later she'll be sent to a topnotch shop for a lights out restoration. MAYBE before I qualify for Social Security! :cuss

:big grin
RA

RedAllison

If hussein will let you!
She don't even work, I NEVER ask her about money things... It's the ******** kids that take all da money.

"Empty nest syndrome" my azz, gonna be PARTYIN and enjoyin da large skins when that happens!!! :at the bar
RA