Hydro Tec or Merc!

Jus' Giv'r

So, its slow around here today, sun was out, enjoying the rays, staring at the ice and waiting for it to melt!
I'm in a pickle. As some know, I want to re-power my GS. Nothing wrong with the existing 225PM, in fact, its like new. I just want more power, accel and top-end with the ability to carry 3 or 4 and not have to push someone out when I get the urge...... I have done a few threads soaking in all the info I can get. This site is great!
In this process a Yamaha Hydro Tec has been mentioned as a possible alternative to some 280 power. I will admit, I kinda like this idea. It had 16" mid, sporty lower and crazy hp at lower rpm's. Apparently this modified Yamaha Hydro Tec had weight around 455lbs, which was my biggest concern. Please keep it nice as I know some bleed black all the way through.... and nottin' wrong with that! So, let hear everyones thoughts between what is considered the norm vs. the Hydro Tec.

whipper

I was talking to Wayne the other day at Haydotec. His ecu,s are flashed to 7200 rpm now. This gives you the ability to run smaller pitch props. One of the concers with the XS motors is that to get higher speeds you have to run a 30+ pitcher because of the 6000rpm limiter. Those larger diamiter props as we all know get a little more tricky comming off of speed than the smaller ones. I wish I could say exactly how this would be but i dont know anyone personaly who has one on a 03? Another nice thing with the hydroTec is Wayne now can adapt the SM with 175,s. He also has 162 gearcases with LWP. The wieght is alot better than the XS at 455 and combined with the shortshaft for better COG it makes for an interesting alternative to me. Theres guys running the 250XS and say its like haveing a 280 back there? Because the Hydrotec is lighter with better COG I dont know. Sounds good in theary. There is ofcourse the 3.0lt warning that Darris put out there. Darris says no 3.0 LT and nothing over 440lbs. It would be at your own risk as he says and as anyone allready knows. Heck going over 60 or boating in a high performance boat is always at your own risk!:gasp On the BBC and FassBass boards theres some Bullet Guys with the Hydrotec 16inchers. You might ask them how they like them for reliability and what not. I cant wait untill Im ready for new power. The technology and after market options keep increasing all the time.
Theres a few guys on hear with Yamahamers but dont post much. Use your own decretion when thnking over 2.5LT,s Talk to Bill, {Badbait} Jeff ,{Hotprop} and maybe give Glen Rynolds a call and ask him what he thinks about it. These guys have some experiance with motors over 2.5 on Allisons at 505lbs.

waterskipper

Gary I think you should try the yammi. I know of one other 2.6 that's going on a SS next year. Aside from doing something kinda out side the box you'll have all that low end grunt that will make that gs a lot of fun on the lake! Imo.

whipper

The 2.6 can be made to have around 300hp with a stage 111. Thats also a good option from a displacment and wieght stand point. For water skiing haveing the low end grunt is what i need also.