hydro steering

Myron

does anyone know if the helm still attaches with just one bolt or is the one Darris designed different

GotMyAlly

If you mean the bolt from the cylinder to the steering arm, the 6345 (darris designed) cylinder is the same as the standard on in that respect.

Myron

yes I mean the way it bolts to the tiller arm, that is what I don't like about that system

pickwickangler

Just finished up installing mine and it does suck to know that your steering is held together by one 1/4 inch bolt. Later

Myron

that is what I thought,I will stick to my cables, I really don't have any problem with them, with my gearcase and setup it drives real easy. When Mercury first came out with the 225 Pro-Max SS I had one of the first ones, one day as I was pulling onto the boat basin the steering was locked, luckily I had just got off plane, when I put it on the trailer to see what happened the bolts that goes thru the tiller arm to the exhaust plate were broke, that could have been real bad at speed. I don't like playing with danger.

Myron

the steering yoke will only work on the one piece exhaust adapter, that is what I have, there is no way of bolting it to a 2 piece adapter plate

Myron

as far as I know there is only one, mine came from Glenn also, I will have to look at the pic

Myron

just looked, that is what I have, it will only work on the one piece adapter

props4u2

fnf,
There are two different steering braces, one for a short shaft and one for a long shaft. Both are made for the one piece adapter plates as stated before, they will not work with a two piece adapter.
The one tiller arm 3/8, not 14" bolt that Teleflex uses has a shear strength of like 27,000 psi, not sure of the number but it's way up there. That was Darris's main concern with the hyd. system, one bolt with no safty net. When Teleflex proved the shear strength to him, all he needed was a few minor changes to the steering cylinder shaft and he never looked back. There is no one on this board, or the intire internet that is more concerned with safety than he is.

Lee

fishnfireman

fnf,
There is no one on this board, or the intire internet that is more concerned with safety than he is.

Lee
No kidding !!!!

I have never heard of the bolt breaking.....But I have heard of a couple of the tiller arms breaking. As with all stories --did it break first, causing the wreck or was it broke during?????
Might have to put a liitle "southern engineerig" to work on this one. I'm sure there is a way to back up the tiller and the bolt even with a 2 piece adaptor plate.. Might be possible to make one that fits between the 2 plates then extends out to the end of the tiller arm !!

Or maybe I'm worrying about something that's no big deal.
My biggest concern with this mtr is that it is a 2000 model, it has been trailered a ga-billion miles and has seen a LOT of rough water..It's bound to have more than it's share of metal fatigue !!!

JR

I too, like Myron, had the top motor mount bolt shear and lock up my steering. I also have seen broken tiller arms and wondered which happened first the accident or the tiller arm break.
I, if anyone, should have broken a tiller arm or Teleflex pivot bolt by now, if it was probable, especially after finding the split offset plate last week.
JR

fishnfireman

I, if anyone, should have broken a tiller arm or Teleflex pivot bolt by now, if it was probable, especially after finding the split offset plate last week.
JR
For sure----If the undisputed "king of bat turns" cant break one.....Not sure what I'm worried about!!

I did replace and tighten ALL the motor mount bolts just a few weeks ago.

The top ones were getting a lot of play in them.. I started to replace the motor mounts..however I just rotated them a little. and with the new bolts they snugged up good as new.

jimmyb

use the mercury steering bolt, NOT the teleflex one.

The mercury one is an ARP (not sure what the teleflex one is, but it is unmarked). So go with the merc one...

jimmyb

yes, the merc bolt has ARP clearly marked on the head of the bolt

Myron

call me old or what but still do not like only one point holding everthing together