Hydraulic steering

pad v

My old cables need to be replaced so I ordered a new set up from Allison. I have been driving for a long time with cables and I am a little worried if an old dog can still learn a new trick ha ha. What changes can I expect?
Thanks.

gmorgan

Just take it easy, and shouldn't take much time before you're up and running. Just a lot less energy spent fighting torque with the hydraulic steering. Time spent bleeding the system is time well spent.

pad v

I guess I will find out soon enough. I have always relied on the torque on the wheel to feel what the boat needs as far as balance and trim input etc. Just don't know what to expect it to feel like. The feel of the torque on the wheel was always part of the Allison driver experience to me I guess .

ziemer

I guess I will find out soon enough. I have always relied on the torque on the wheel to feel what the boat needs as far as balance and trim input etc. Just don't know what to expect it to feel like. The feel of the torque on the wheel was always part of the Allison driver experience to me I guess .
The feedback is there, it's just completely different. Since it's not power assisted, you do get a heavier feeling turning left than right, but much more enjoyable to cruise than the cable. I love mine, and would never go back to cable.

Jon

Supporting Member
After a long day in my gs, my left elbow, which is jacked anyway, starts to hurt. Does the hydraulic reduce the weight of the torque steering?

mtolley

Yes there will be little to no torque at the wheel. The feeling is no longer in your hands. I learned by what my a$$ felt like lol