Hydraulic Steering Install

scott mann

Hey guys,
I know by now several of you have installed the Hydraulic steering on your Allies. I received my "hydraulic steering package" from Bill up at Allison a coupla' days ago. Finally got all of my cable steering removed (yes, I couldn't take it...and finally cut the dang cables)...wow...

Anyhow, any secrets or worthwhile advise on installing the new system would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott Mann

GotMyAlly

Make sure you cross the hoses. If you the hose from the port side nozzle on the helm to the port side nozzle on the cylinder and vice versa, it will steer backwards. The hoses have to cross, port to starboard and starboard to port. I crossed mine under the dash.

brotherxb03

I installed a seastar-pro in my 1998 XB03 that I took out of my old bass boat. I ran both hydralic lines on the starboad side through the existing PVC support pieces and padded the lines with the existing pieces of foam insulation. I came out of the rear ascess hole on the starboad side of the gas cap and looped them around to the port then back to the ram fittings which were both 90 degreed open end to the port side. I also had to notch out the dash for the helm fittings to clear. I used a template to drill the holes for the helm. Also the helm studs had a allen on the outboard end and it is easier to fit the helm in place without the studs unless the hydralic 90's are already on. The holes for the studs will have to be a little bigger to compensate for error in drilling. You will also need to bleed it good after install. This is easier with 2 people. And I recomend recatching the seastar oil due it it's cost of about 12.00 a quart. I used clear acrilic hose from each bleeder to a tee back to a mty bottle. I used a fitting from the orginal sea star bottle with a clear hose and put a plastic thum tack pin through the bottle bottom to control venting.

J

John Richied

LOL, yep A LOT of cable ties for sure… :wink:

I never have installed hydraulic steering, but I have been under the gunwale messing with the steering cables and trolling motor wires… a lot of fun for sure!

It’s too late for this probably since you have your old steering cables out but a long sleeve shirt is a good idea… hehehe

scott mann

cables

For sure on the long sleeve shirt...Thanks for the input guys.
I'm anxious to see how she drives out after the change out.
Thanks again,
Scott Mann

CDave

Scott, what I did when I bleed mine, to do it by myself was, cut a piece of PVC pipe to fit over the cyl. ram shaft, fully extended. Then I installed a piece of clear hose over the bleed screw and ran it into a container of steering fluid.
This way you can turn the wheel to bleed the air out if ya don't have anyone to help ya.

Basically like you would do when bleeding brakes.

GotMyAlly

Wish somebody had told me to wear a long sleeve shirt before I did mine. My forearms were covered with fiberglass splinters.

Once you go hydraulic, you'll never go back.

fishnfireman

glass trick

next time you get the fiberglass in your bare skin.

take (don't borrow) a pair of your wifes old panty hose and rub the skin with it. they will grab a lot of the fibers and pull them out.

GotMyAlly

Thanks for the tip.

I ain't married so I'll just borrow a pair and if they get returned with a few extra pricklies in 'em well I don't have much to lose.