Hydraulic or Manual Jackplate

fnshrmaster

I just noticed my CMC is leaking and has been noisy since I bought the boat. I would like to replace it. Wondering what brand you guys are running and if hydraulic is really needed. I don't adjust it much at all, even with pad and leave it.

Do the Allison lifts have the pump on the plate? Atlas units look well built but I am almost leaning towards a hydro dynamics manual? What do you guys think?

Funny thing I was going to post this boat for sale this week to buy a salmon boat, never thought I would here my wife tell me she wants to keep a boat! Looks like Ill have to wait on the tug.

FlatOutAlly

....Funny thing I was going to post this boat for sale this week to buy a salmon boat, never thought I would here my wife tell me she wants to keep a boat!
If she says ya should keep it, ya gotta go with the flow. Hydraulic? I don't like 'em. Good maybe when setting up a combination, but can cause problems when you tweek it at the wrong time looking for one more. Especially on our boats. Last one I had would cock left and right a bit going up and down, no matter what I did with the bolts and washers on the side. Regardless, good luck and keep that wife happy. She's a keeper.

Dave Hensley

The Cook plates can be rebuilt. If I went manual it would be a 14" Allison. Nothing else close IMHO. But you didn't ask me.....

fnshrmaster

The Cook plates can be rebuilt. If I went manual it would be a 14" Allison. Nothing else close IMHO. But you didn't ask me.....
I will give Bill a call this week. I did know the cook plate can be rebuilt, its ratty looking. I didn't know that it was leaking until I went to lower it to put it in the garage tonight, found the foamy oil/water mixture.

Right now it has a 8" setback bracket, 6" cmc. If I go with a full 14" will the nuts come off the transom without the bolts spinning on the inside or do I have to pull the tank to do the full 14?

Dave Hensley

Did it have the Prestolite pump in the boat or the pump integral to the plate? I can't remember. If it is the inboard pump parts are NLA. The Allison transom bolts have a tang welded to the head that is attached to the transom via a self tapping screw. That should not be a problem. By the way I have not seen a hydraulic plate yet that did not moan and groan while operating.

brund

She is a keeper for sure. I see the Hydro dynamics adjusts in 1/4" increments, is that standard for a manual?
You do not have to go up the full 1/4 . You can go up less and tighten up the four side bolts the height you want it

fnshrmaster

Did it have the Prestolite pump in the boat or the pump integral to the plate? I can't remember. If it is the inboard pump parts are NLA. The Allison transom bolts have a tang welded to the head that is attached to the transom via a self tapping screw. That should not be a problem. By the way I have not seen a hydraulic plate yet that did not moan and groan while operating.
Pump integral to the plate. It must have been leaking/water intruding for a while I just never noticed it, the barn I store it in at the lake has a gravel floor. Once at home on concrete I spotted it right away.

tomoad

I have a hydro dynamics on my boat and live it. I ditched the detwiler hydralic and went manuel and lost the added wt. I set it and leave it. I always caught my self playing with the hydraulic.

GotMyAlly

If you run big water, the hydraulic plate sure is nice when you want to drop the prop for more bite in rough water. Although I never had one on my XB03, I wouldn't be without one on my 21.

merc106

Stay away from the Atlas on our boats. Under torque the flat lift plate will bend a lot and if the prop looses bite for whatever the reason the plate then goes back flat which pulls the prop out of the water and could cause the boat to go the other way. They are good plates but not for a Allison. Had one on my xb21 and it is now gone.

Darth VMAX

Stay away from the Atlas on our boats. Under torque the flat lift plate will bend a lot and if the prop looses bite for whatever the reason the plate then goes back flat which pulls the prop out of the water and could cause the boat to go the other way. They are good plates but not for a Allison. Had one on my xb21 and it is now gone.
This is good to know! Maybe even pinable

fnshrmaster

I read a few negative things about them, Im leaning Bobs Machine or Allison manual.

Dave Hensley

You guys are funny! Mr custom boat house Chris and Hensley with enough boats to supply a small Naval force.
My stuff is just under good care until they find a new home....Allison plate period. No substitutes. Darris has his own plates made here for a reason. Johnny Garner builds them and they are the best.

fnshrmaster

My stuff is just under good care until they find a new home....Allison plate period. No substitutes. Darris has his own plates made here for a reason. Johnny Garner builds them and they are the best.
Chris sent me some pics of his Allison plate this morning, looks like a quality piece. Seems like a no brainer.

Dave Hensley

I have seen the 2003 rigged with plates from 9" to 15". I think the one they sell now is adjustable. I would get whatever they recommend.