How many run a straight skeg?

xb03

Who on here runs a straight skeg on a lwp gear case? Also, how does it handle and what type of steering are you running with a straight skeg?
Thanks

LakeAnna

We have a straight one on the tri-toon...:big grin I can't remember ever running one that wasn't worked, welded, bondo/epoxy whatever.

Last edited:

xb03

Man, I know I remember some guys in here that said they ran a straight skeg on their "Allison".

suicidealli

I ran one for a while. They suck. You have turn the wheel to get the Boat to run straight.
It is dangerous. Get some epoxy, and make a torq tab. That is the easiest fix. I did that for a while. Later I notched it, and slightly rolled the skeg to make a torq tab. I don't reccomend it if you haven't worked with aluminum. I did mine 8-10 years ago. I still have it..

Roy

whipper

The big question is, why would ya want to run a straight skeg?
X2 Heard nothing but not good things running a straight one. on the other hand last year an allison drags broke off and he ran some more races without one at all. But having no skeg might be better than running a full straight one? Niether is good. You need the counter acting propertys of the props rotaional pull or your not only trying to balance the boat you have the props rotaional pull to deal with also.

GotMyAlly

X2 Heard nothing but not good things running a straight one. on the other hand last year an allison drags broke off and he ran some more races without one at all. But having no skeg might be better than running a full straight one? Niether is good. You need the counter acting propertys of the props rotaional pull or your not only trying to balance the boat you have the props rotaional pull to deal with also.
Might get away with that in a 1/4 mile.........doubt you'd have such luck on a longer run though.

patches

Might get away with that in a 1/4 mile.........doubt you'd have such luck on a longer run though.
He barely got away with it in the 1/8. The boat was all over the place. Still not sure how he got it down the track, but to his credit he did