House Fighter

GeoL

What are you recommendations for a house fighter shotgun ?
18 or 20" barrel ? 12ga, 2 3/4, xtended Mag.
Thx, Geo

And what rounds would you use ? 00's, 0's, 6's, ???

RedAllison

Gdaddy either a 12, 16 or 20ga pump will suffice. As long as the barrel isn't under 16", I believe you are legal and safe. The shorter the better, in theory an intruder could grab the end of a longer barrel and cause you problems. My answer too that is just pull the damned trigger, whether he is hit or not, I am willing to bet the SOB is GOING TO let go of the gun PDQ!!! You can buy brand new Remingtons, Winchester, Mossbergs etc that are already in "killing form", they feature shorter barrels, extended magazines, straight bore barrels (no choke), a pistol grip and are just marketed specifically for law enforcement and home defense.

If you either already have an old one or can buy an old beat around at a local pawn shop, you can make one yourself for less than a couple hundred bucks! Saw the barrel off 16.5" (just to be safe), add a simple screw-on magazine extension ($10), cut the stock off at the pistol grip and wrap it with duct tape and you might even attach a SureFire flashlight too the mag extension (a simple G6 will blind em, show you the way and cost about $50) and then you have more firepower than a small battalion. In all honesty the noise from simply racking the gun will result in A-holes and elbows for most criminals. They hear a pump gun cycling and they wont stick around to find out how good a shot you are.

Loadwise, most military and law enforcement use 00 or 000 buckshot. But realistically that can over penetrate in a home and go through two sheets of drywall and injure someone you didn't intend to. I can assure you that a simple magnum turkey load of copperplated 4s or even 6s will stop ANY man cold in his tracks yet won't continue on through the wall behind them.

Gdaddy goin for bear!!! :lol:
RA

ps
20ga.s are good choices too if the lady of the house desires to keep the gun handy while you are gone. They will stop a man for sure, but the recoil and flash from a short barrel 12 might be a lil much for her. Most 20s aren't so harsh on that end.

GeoL

Thanks RA, I have room in the cabinet for one more, that's better than messing with my 870 Wingmaster. However, I see a 20" barrel, 18" Minimum here. at Ebay.....
The Mossberg 590 looks purrrtty nasty too.
I get the fever in these gun stores.
Does Michelle have one ?
thx Geo

John S

I dont know how big your house is, but Im thinkin anything you put in that barrel is gonna make em put your stereo down. Put a target up at 15-20', and youll see what I mean (I think cooton balls would ventilate a guy)! I made a bracket for under my bed for this very purpose ( I dont have kids & if theyre ever at my house, the gun goes in the cabinet). If it were me, I would check locally on the minimum length for the barrell (I dont know if its a federal or state deal), because in that situation, any little mistake is gaonna put you behind the rebar, as sad as that is. I was going trap shooting a while back, and my buddy saw me unloading my shells on the bed and asked me what the heck I was doing. My reply was "disarming the alarm" :twisted: Just my opinion, but 8 shot, buck shot, slug, the guy aint gonna be able to use the public pool when he gets to heaven (or hell) with all dem holes in him!

John S

RedAllison

Gdaddy you can buy another barrel for your 870, put the mag extension on it and be ready. A used anykind of Rem 870 barrel should suffice since you are gonna saw it off anyway, should be able to find one for under $100. If you need it for a day afield simply remove the extension and re-install the field barrel and walla you are set. All that can be put on and taken back off without doing anything too the gun as the barrel and extension are simple screw on pieces anyway.

Try www.gunbroker.com
www.auctionarms.com
and eBay for barrels,
RA

ps
Michelle is near my closet, in it is a 38snubbie and a 9mm S&W that has 17 rounds in it. If they get past that, she will whip out my .357 with a CTC laser grip and put the fear of God in em!!!