Hot weather performance

Jimxb02

I have a XB02 with a ProMax 225. Today in hot weather, 90+ temp and very high humidity I was running 4 to 5 MPH slower than I was in early cooler spring weather. Is this typical for a XB02 with ProMax ?

J

John Richied

The high humidity with the hot weather does that…

With high humidity the engine actually runs richer…and with a higher temperature the engine runs richer… the combination together kills speed for sure.

catfish123

Interesting, I have never experienced this. At most I may lose 1 mph but the highest speed my boat ever ran was in fairly warm, very humid weather.

whipper

hot

In spring UP here when the ice came off I was running 81ish with my 225 promax on a GSE at 2100ft. Yesterday in 100 deg high humitity at same lake and Im a much better driver now 77 was rung out as far as I dare with out blowen out. The huminex index plays a big factor on two stroke engine. In spring water temps cooler, air cooler, lower humidity,engine cooler,= go faster. I would hit 80 10 times a day in spring now I need my 30 on or 28. The 25 trophy still has good grunt all around dont get me wrong and remember that every one else ya race is in the same boat as you.

fishnfireman

I spend most of the winter fishing down south.
I have seen as much as a 8 mph swing from 40 degree temps to 110 degree with 90 percent humidity.

I just got back from Amistad and had to dropdown in pitch. because of the extreme heat and humidity. :oops:

some of the best speeds I have ran with a 225 Pmax. The water temp was about 48 and the air temp was around 40.

I don't think the 280 did as good when the water temps got real cold because the mtr would not build enough heat. but it loves the 55-70 degree water with cool air!!!!!!!!

jimmyb

you can easily see a 5% HP loss from bad air.

plus you get aerodynamic lift losses from hot air... just ask a pilot of a plane how much carrying capacity he looses on hot, humid days. I would argue that speed losses from aerodynamic lift (packing air under the hull) effects boat speeds more than HP loss

whipper

Jimmy good point. I worked with helecopters a great deal and on a good day a Hughs 500D lifts 1000-1100 as little as 8-900 on a hot day in the mountains.

whipper

Same boat

Ya Fastguy that way you never loose but winning is tuff! I ment im sure you know that the heat is effecting every other boat that day aswell so all will be effected by the heat and will have some speed scrubbed off so all is relevent eh. James