H-steering LEAK

fishnfireman

Anyone having issues with the cylinder leaking where the ram comes out ?

Mine is on an 06 model from the factory.
I replaced the port side seal last year and it started leaking again about 3 months later.
It makes me think that the ram has a bad spot which I can't see with the naked eye but is bad enough to make the seal go after some use.

Thoughts ? opinions ?

XSive

Mike,

I would give Teleflex a call. Finding their phone # is tough, but I had it from a couple of years ago. They are hard to get a hold of but REALLY helpful when you talk to someone.

TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Phone: 604-248-3858
Email: info@teleflex.bc.ca

froggy

FnF's poor hydraulic setup has to put up with Amistad and Falcon. If I had to put up with those places, on a regular basis, I'd leak too!

FnF---real men use a tiller (he,he,he).

Seriously, hydraulic steering was originally designed for the saltwater folks so it should stand up to most anything.

It will be interesting to hear what Teleflex has to say.

froggy

Yellowallison

RangerMAN.........I also suggest calling Teleflex....because they was good about fixing/replacing a cylinder I had on a Flats boat that kept leaking around the threads on the front hose connections.

Good luck:smile:smile

Last edited:

brotherxb03

you can buy a kit with the end caps and spanner wrench for about $100. I got it from my local dealer for like 89 with my discount. Don't une transmission fluid in it,it's one thing that will cause the endcaps to leak. Also not using it is bad for it.

fishnfireman

FnF's poor hydraulic setup has to put up with Amistad and Falcon. If I had to put up with those places, on a regular basis, I'd leak too!

FnF---real men use a tiller (he,he,he).

Seriously, hydraulic steering was originally designed for the saltwater folks so it should stand up to most anything.

It will be interesting to hear what Teleflex has to say.

froggy
No kidding !!!
Plus the fact that Amistad is 460 miles away and I have already wore out a set of trailer tires pulling back and forth.

PS I tried the tiller ---my partner kept complaining about haveing to duck under the darn thing everytime we made a hard right.!!

fishnfireman

Update on this leak.

I pulled the leaking (seal gland) off the unit.

the shaft appears to be purfect.
Upon inspection of the inside of the leaking seal it is very appearant as to why it is leaking.
For whatever reason the shaft has worn thru what was the bottom side of the seal gland and is worn enough you can see it in the metal part of the gland.
I think it is because that is where the most wieght is at while trailering !! Even thou it is not much wieght .the excessive miles I have pulled this rig on some not so great roads....It has bounced/wiggled until it wears the darn seal out.

hack02

I was kinda wondering if the cycl was getting in a bind someway, especially at full extension. Just thinking outloud.

fishnfireman

If it is I can't tell from looking.
I spent about half of today making all the connection points tight again.

I'm going to get a set of those plastic clamps that go on each side of the ram...If cut to the right length..it should minimize the side to side movement while trailering.
See if that won't help !

froggy

FnF,

Bingo---jackpot---I think the plastic dealies are your answer. I need to get some for the BBote too. My fishin partner uses them on his boat and no hydraulic problems yet.

froggy

fishnfireman

FnF,

Bingo---jackpot---I think the plastic dealies are your answer. I need to get some for the BBote too. My fishin partner uses them on his boat and no hydraulic problems yet.

froggy
I had another thought also on those LONG hauls with some back roads.........
Pull that one ARP bolt and it would not be an issue at all.

Or now that the fishing has slowed way down at Amistad and everyone has started to go to Falcon.. MAYBE I can find a boat storage place down there just for September thru Feb. like I did for years.. Sure saved a lot of wear and tear on the boat/trailer.
I used to rent a 12 by 30 with electricity for $30.00 a month. If I went down twice a month I could pay for it in gas money saved by not pulling the boat.

Last edited: