GS rear hatches

delgrad59

Hello,

Just got my new to me GS and am already finding that the rear hatches are a pain because they do not stay open. Is there a way to keep these open other than a stick of wood? Has anyone used a shock like you would find on the rear hatch of a car? Also can you remove the ski pole? I think I have seen some people put a cap over the hole that is left. Is this something you can get from Allison?

Thanks

delgrad59

Do you have a picture of how they are mounted ? Mine has nothing.

DOUBLE J

All you have to do is adjust your uphostery and they will stay up by themselves. To clarify: I had the original Allison upholstery in boat and the hatch would go all the way up and stay. I then installed all new Allison upholstery and then they wouldn't. My buddy who has a Grandsport did the spring set up to hold them open. He argued with me that their is no way to adjust them to stay up. I moved the top round end upholstery pieces on sundeck in a little and now they stay up by themselves. I like that way alot better than a shock cause the hatch is completely up and out the way. It works so well that even the wife can do it. The ski pole should have a pin that you take out @ the bottom of the pole. Remove that and then just pull pole out. I leave mine out unless I'm using it.

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
When I had a gs the rear lids would always slam shut at around 94--95 mph. Kind of annoying but I learned to embrace this and used it as a second speedometer. I always knew when then 95 mph mark was passed. The second bonus was the trail of empty cans that blew out, I could always find my way back.

whipper

Like Double J said. If you open them up and push them against the rear seat tops they hold them open. At least mine does. They are a bit of a leverage issue opening. A shock would get in the way of loading the compartments. Youll get the hang of it. I start mine then open from lifting the sides. The Center one isnt a problem exept with my long pylon on I have to hook the top with a bungy cord to the top of the pylon when fueling. The pin for the pylon is accesed from the middle rear seat. The seat opens up to a rope compartment. I use it to carry my spare prop. The Pylon is retractable. You could always just drill another hole higher on the pylon to get the top of the pylon flush if you want. It wont hurt anything strength wise. The stock pylon is useless anyway. It doesnt clear the top of the cowl all the way up for skiing. The rope will rub your cowl. I bought a way longer pylon from Dana Marine for 150 bucks then drilled the holes for the pin myself were I wanted them. Got any pics of your GS? Pics are always cool!!

Congrates on your new ride youll love her!!

Jr in Jax

Mine is a GSE and came with the gas shocks to hold the rear hatches open. I have replaced them with ones bought from West Marine who also sells the ball swivel brackets that the shock ends clip on to. I use the 40# lift shocks.