GS deck strength

flying07

Morning all. . . love forum time! So couple of us were debating, and no, I will NEVER test this idea or walk on it, but anybody have any ideas how much weight you can put on the front of a GS without the glass cracking/spidering. Again, just a curiosity, this is not going to get tested! haha . . . Happy Easter everyone!!

whipper

Crawled across mine once the sound was so nerve racking I never did it again.:gasp Ive often wondered if it was only because it never had before and once ya get the crackling done with its better? ive never tested that theory. Sure would like to know if its actually ok though also.

Jon

Supporting Member
I have had to go around the edge of mine before, thinking there would be more strength there. I think it would hold a 160lb person fine (I'm 200 and didn't want to chance it), but 260 may be a different story. Has anyone ever asked Allison?

Jon

Supporting Member
don't do it. just don't. once it's cracked the noise might subside some. if you must do this, get an xb.
And to your point, I did it once and didn't like it. I learned a lesson on a bad ramp in town and will never do it again. Yes, get an XB if you need to walk on it.

ziemer

Been all over mine, and never had an issue or heard cracking. Gotta have somewhere to put the dancing girls!

mxzx

I have walked on the deck of mine lots of times, no issues at all. Need to get on there quite often if its windy when I am putting the mooring cover on. Have your motor cut out coming into a dock and you will jump on there real fast!

Jon

Supporting Member
How big would you say you boys are? I probably still won't get on mine, but will send my wife out to catch the boat going forward :)

Jr in Jax

Mine snaps-crackles-pops when I walk on it so I usually send Susan to the bow since she weighs less than half of me. You can walk safely around the edge.

Kruton

I got a SS and have crawl over the front all the time... I would never walk for the risk of slipping and falling hard on it. I keep mine sprayed down with
303 Aerospace Protectant so it stays slick.

whipper

Light comes through my SS deck. I'd never walk on it.
haha yes I would say thats a good sign of dont stand on it..;) Is yours a light layup or standard just wondering if all the SS decks are light there? ya know your boats going to have good power to weight when you can see threw the deck... Thats awesome!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I would never get on the bow of say an XR2001, but the GS is built as a pleasure/sport boat and I believe some substantial thought was put into the design of the top cap for expressly this reason. You can see this engineering if you crawl up under the dash and look at the double-wall ceiling with reinforcing molded runners.

My son at 164 can get up there with no crispy popping or crackling at all, and because of my weight fluctuating from a condition I have, I try to stay off of it but in a must-do situation I will crawl out there but try to stay on the edges of the mold; where the transitions are from horizontal to vertical. These convolutions afford the maximum strength as opposed to the vast flat areas that are just looking for an excuse to spider crack under heavy weight.

Jr in Jax

I can not believe that Louis is 164 pounds, he was about 50# the last time I saw him, gee Lou, make me feel old.....