Grandsport w/ 3 Liter 250 Pro XS

Ally-Sun

So after a making the jump to a 3 Liter, 250 Pro XS, w/1.62 gear ratio Sportmaster on my Grandsport. Along with a month of cruising, testing, and a little tuning. I must say I am really enjoying this setup. I will also say I am not one who is looking to get every mph out of the GS. Honestly it's an absolutely amazing hull. That handles like a dream, takes rough water well, is extremely efficient, and will fit many needs. Yet for all out top speed and high speed stability, I personally don't think it's the best choice. If you want that, I would say look fro a SS or an XR. All that being said this is hands down the best all around sking/cruising/speed hull I have ever ran.

Thus far I have ran a Hydromotive 26P QIV-X O/T, a Trophy Plus 27P, and a 28P Bravo I 4 blade. The Hydromotive and the Trophy handle almost identical. They are both great for taking off, mid range acceleration, and descent top end thus far. (87 mph @ 6000 rpm). I think there is a little more as I hadn't hit the limiter and my friend's 250 Pro XS does so at 6200 rpm. With the exception the Trophy has just a touch more blowout (which isn't much at all) on take off and could be a few mph faster. The only time I have been by myself to make speed runs with the Trophy it's been really windy. So I haven't been able to get all the speed the Trophy has to offer. With the Bravo it was the same deal as the Trophy. There was plenty of potential for even more speed. One thing I did notice with the Bravo was letting out of the throttle with the thru hub and larger diameter. When I did so, albeit slow, the prop really pulled when slowing down. It felt like I let a parachute out. I could feel a real potential for dropping the bow hard if one were to chop the throttle. Thus improving the chance to hook. I have not yet decided on a prop to get me in the mid 90's. With which I will be happy as far as top end. Later this summer I am going to try a Billy Eaves worked 28P ProMax. From there I will decide which way to go.

In closing, I absolutely love this engine/hull combo. The engine runs and idles like a dream with no smoke. Which I never minded anyway, being an old 2-stroke guy. She takes off great with the 3 Liter torque. Has amazing mid-range acceleration and handling. The Optimax has incredible fuel mileage. I.E. on one run last fall with my old 225 ProMax I used 17.5 gal of gas plus nearly a half gallon of oil. On the same run with the 250 Pro XS a few weeks ago. I used a little less than 8 gallons of gas and I am sure a lot less oil. As I have only burned @ 1 gallon of oil all this spring on multiple trips. The oil hardly drops in the tank at all. So I am using less than half the fuel and oil!!! Top end could easily be in the triple digits if you want to set up that way. Yet I wouldn't recommend it with this combo! If you want a triple digit river rocket to race across the water most of the time. Choose a different hull, yet to each his own. Me, I am happy playing, skiing, and cruising below and up to 70 mph 95% of the time. Which I can do all day long, with the way the Optimax sips fuel. In my opinion, if you are looking for an awesome multi-purpose setup. Treated with time, care, patience, and RESPECT. The 3 Liter on a Grandsport is a fantastic setup!

Lotus 50

I had a similar experience going from a 225 Promax to a 200XS on my SS2000. You probably have better acceleration with the bigger motor. Usually I prop for 80-88. Once or twice a year I run 90. That’s enough

its interesting that the handling is fine with the big motor, yet Allison discourage that combo

Ally-Sun

Acceleration is fantastic, I thought I may loose a bit with the higher gears. Yet the power and torque of the 3 Liter make up for it.

I get that they discourage the combo. It's a good bit of weight back there and up high. Coupled with the non-ratcheting gear case can make for a dangerous combination when pushed to the limit. It's all in what someone wants, setup, respect, responsibility, and what risk they are willing to take.

For me, it's a great setup in what I want and how I use the GS. A 200 XS would be great as well. Yet they are few and far between.

ROBERT CROSS

I had a similar experience going from a 225 Promax to a 200XS on my SS2000. You probably have better acceleration with the bigger motor. Usually I prop for 80-88. Once or twice a year I run 90. That’s enough

its interesting that the handling is fine with the big motor, yet Allison discourage that combo
^
X2
WeBe happy too....

Ally-Sun

^
X2
WeBe happy too....
Yes the 200 XS's are awesome engines for sure! I looked for one for a while, but they are like finding hen's teeth. The 250 XS's are just so readily available with the Bass Boats upgrading to 4 strokes. The 2018 I found was basically as close to a new engine as you can get. If one is looking for an efficient, powerful, smooth running engine. I would recommend one all day long. Especially if you have seat time and not looking to run the razor's edge. Yet if you are a thrill seeker and you want triple digits that's an option with the 250 XS too. The guy who purchased Harrell's GS just did 100.9 last week. People also Base Jump everyday and assume that risk. That's just not for me...to each his own!

whipper

28 drag4 buy performance ill bet works great on there or a 28 drag 3 also. Allison foil and balls in your jackplate cavity battery as far forward in the compartment as possible instead of at the very back and counter weights behind the glove box. :] Thats how I always imagined doing. Thats how a buddy had his GS with a 300PM setup for 112. 110 with 4 in the boat. Ran a 32 drag 4. Ive seen a STV euro setup to perfection with a 300xs and the rigger who is a 9 time world record holder Formula boat racer move the gas tank ahead 4 inches and battery 10 inches to keep the same fulcrum as a 2.5 balanced on a log. First with the 2.5 fulcrum marked then with 3.0 LT moved stuff around loose to get exact same fulcrum. Marked then bolted every thing in its new spot. Ran beater in every way than a 2.5 after setup. There is a gearcase mod to get it to ratchet.

Ally-Sun

28 drag4 buy performance ill bet works great on there or a 28 drag 3 also. Allison foil and balls in your jackplate cavity battery as far forward in the compartment as possible instead of at the very back and counter weights behind the glove box. :] Thats how I always imagined doing. Thats how a buddy had his GS with a 300PM setup for 112. 110 with 4 in the boat. Ran a 32 drag 4. Ive seen a STV euro setup to perfection with a 300xs and the rigger who is a 9 time world record holder Formula boat racer move the gas tank ahead 4 inches and battery 10 inches to keep the same fulcrum as a 2.5 balanced on a log. First with the 2.5 fulcrum marked then with 3.0 LT moved stuff around loose to get exact same fulcrum. Marked then bolted every thing in its new spot. Ran beater in every way than a 2.5 after setup. There is a gearcase mod to get it to ratchet.

Hey Whipper, read a lot of your input before I pulled the trigger on the 3L. I have the foil and ball in the jackplate. I was surprised how much the ball helped. Drag4 28P is on order and should be here next week. So we shall see how it does. I really enjoy how she handles and especially the fuel mileage!!! Thanks for the input Whipper!

Ally-Sun

Hope you don’t hurt yourself or your family. View attachment 17367
Thanks Mr. Paul, I appreciate it. Yeah I don't push it with others in the boat. I certainly understand and appreciate the Allison's warning. Awareness of the risk we all assume is valuable info. Albeit with a GS and a 3L doing 80 mph or with an XR and a 280 doing 110+ mph is valuable info. Info that should be taken into consideration when deciding the risk.

SLOmofo

I take chances every day. Rolling out of bed and putting my shoes on. It is "my" choice. All input is accepted and aperacheted, just not taken. LOL..
Hey Whipper hows life? Are you ever going to get to the WAR so we can meet?

Ally-Sun

Amen SLOmofo, we only go through this Circus once. So enjoy the rides!!! Take for instances this past weekend. I hit a partially submerged log. Luckily I was only doing 30mph. The LU split off a 3 ft by about 5 inch chunk of the log. Sounded like a gun went off in the back of the boat. Luckily it didn’t hurt the LU. Whatever engine I had if I’d been doing 90 Lord knows what would of happened. Live life, relax as best you can, and have fun!

ROBERT CROSS

Darris told us...weight.
From the website....Warning: The use of an overweight engine on the Allison XS-2003 GrandSport could swamp the boat and/or cause severe handling problems at high speeds resulting in an accident with injury or death. DO NOT INSTALL an engine of 3-liters and up, nor any engine weighing more than 440 pounds, regardless of its horsepower. Allison Boats will absolutely NOT be responsible nor support any such activity in any way.17369

SlowHayden

I’m sure the first person to rig a V6 on a Viper got a lot of flak too but now it’s common practice. While I understand showing concern, I also think everyone is capable of making their own decisions and managing their own risk. He obviously has done his research and understands what he’s into. I fully support the idea of the swap, burned $150 in fuel and oil last weekend and would kill to get those mpgs.

Ally-Sun

Darris told us...weight.
From the website....Warning: The use of an overweight engine on the Allison XS-2003 GrandSport could swamp the boat and/or cause severe handling problems at high speeds resulting in an accident with injury or death. DO NOT INSTALL an engine of 3-liters and up, nor any engine weighing more than 440 pounds, regardless of its horsepower. Allison Boats will absolutely NOT be responsible nor support any such activity in any way.View attachment 17369
I am glad you and PKSTV put the warning up. Anyone looking into a GS should know the risk for sure. Just as I understand Mr. Allison creating it, warning people of the risk and I am sure to cover their a$$. I tried to stress the fact that the combo isn't for everyone for sure. Yet if one wants to assume the responsibility and risk. Along with respecting the setup, conditions, and limitations. It's an amazingly effective and efficient combo. I know the 3L elevates the risk, yet in all honesty we take a risk every time we put them on a pad.

Ally-Sun

I’m sure the first person to rig a V6 on a Viper got a lot of flak too but now it’s common practice. While I understand showing concern, I also think everyone is capable of making their own decisions and managing their own risk. He obviously has done his research and understands what he’s into. I fully support the idea of the swap, burned $150 in fuel and oil last weekend and would kill to get those mpgs.
Right Hayden!...or a Viking with a 300 Johnson lol! Still not a fan of that one but to each his own! Looking forward to meeting you at the rally! Heck, you can take her for a spin if you like.