Grandsport setup help

16ftsuperboat

Probationary User
New to the page and new to owning a Ally. Bought a GS few weeks ago and built a 15in 2.5 200merc for it. Looking for some advice on setup. What is a good setback length, I see alot of people over 12in back? What's a good prop, 4blade 3blade pro et lightning et hoss drag4 or 3? So far I ran a 28et at 93mph a 30chopper at 92 and a hoss copy at 87. Stock lip on boat and I'm 8in back. Also feels like I need more trim to get it to fly. Thanks

Attachments

RiverRat71

Sounds like to me you are doing great so far. I have heard the 3 blade ET with seat time/set up gives the best speed. Prolly could go with more set back. Again, I am a newb just repeating what I've heard. RR

dubmoney

It is generally accepted that 14" of set-back is best for top end. Sounds to me like you are doing really good already. If you are really looking to go faster, I would suggest a 30P ET. Then increase set-back, then raise motor until, you start to feel it loose lift, mine usually loses lift about 94 mph. You may want to take a little of the lip off once you are absolutly sure that is the last move. Be safe, take your time learning. Just yesterday I was pushing it a little to much and turned it, I knew I was pushing it, and scolded my self. Get a life line jacket or SRP, always use kill switch lanyard.

16ftsuperboat

Probationary User
It is generally accepted that 14" of set-back is best for top end. Sounds to me like you are doing really good already. If you are really looking to go faster, I would suggest a 30P ET. Then increase set-back, then raise motor until, you start to feel it loose lift, mine usually loses lift about 94 mph. You may want to take a little of the lip off once you are absolutly sure that is the last move. Be safe, take your time learning. Just yesterday I was pushing it a little to much and turned it, I knew I was pushing it, and scolded my self. Get a life line jacket or SRP, always use kill switch lanyard.
I wear the life line with the kill switch always. I'm at the point we're I can hold it wide open and play with my jack height till I lose water psi. I'll add more setback and try some more. Thanks

dubmoney

16ftsuperboat, what lower unit are you using. I would suggest setting your Jack plate at a point where you know exactly where it is. I am to the point where 1/8 or even 1/16 makes a difference, and I find that I can not be that precise with my Hydralic Jack, so I have shims in the Jack plate so when it is all the way down I know exactly where it is.

To answer your question Gary Finch, this last Friday was the second time that my boat has turned right as a result of to much speed over large waves at weird angles. It was not a super hard right, I griped the wheel tight and road in around about 100 degrees, I saw the waves coming and chopped the throttle so I was already decelerating, and was probably only going 60. It was like taking a fast corner in a car, not one of those ones that just throws your ass out. LOL.

ace

Pkstv and ol GS was rolling today, water was slick,bet it breaks the century mark with some chop on the water.
:cool:

SLOmofo

Whitney glad to hear it wasn't at high speed... that makes for sore shoulders at the least. I too have hooked at slower speeds. One rare time I had a passenger with me and went thru a wake at about 45 mph, hooked it and asked if he was OK. He thought I had just changed directions. LOL

DOUBLE J

Edward
I have a 6” black factory Allison set back bracket that I’ll be taking off my GS in about 2-3 weeks. I’ll make you a deal on it. It’s reversible for a 15 or 20” motor. (I’m using it on 15” 280). This is your former owner of your Ally. I can’t take it off till Diamond Marine ships me my powerhead back which is approx 2-3 weeks out.
JJ