Grandsport Setback

SteveO

I picked up a 93 GSE with a 20" 280. It came with a 5" manual jack plate. Should I be looking for more set back? How much?

allison92

mine seemed to run better top end speed with 9.5 inch set back but i currently running 14 inches set back and really handles ruff water really well im also running a 280 .i have run 5 inch and really didnt care for it,did not lift bow enough for the props i run

whipper

I agree with Allison92. Theres another thread about this also try the seach tab{setback}. I think most guys with your setup are running between 9 and 12. 14 is on the long side but its working for A92. Every boat has its sweet spot but 5 is a little short. Usually the more the engine wieghs the less setback. The new 3lt motor require less setback. Mine is at 11.5 with a 225PM but its in the same spot as the 280 that was there before this motor. James

SteveO

I've been reading the setback threads. Was just looking for some first hand info. ~10" seems to be the number.

There are some posts from GPI saying closer is better. Some saying more HP can run less setback.

Factory says they currently rig them with 4.5 spacers + 5.5 hydraulic.

whipper

10 sounds about right. That would be the best place to start. Lots of guys running 10 with 280,s on GS. You will notice a big improvment in your mid range and top end. A perfict 10:laughing James