GrandSport is home

whipper

Thanks for the suggestions guys! and yes, i'd do a vinyl wrap if anything, that way easy to reverse. for now, she's staying like she is. . . i got to learn how to drive it first. . haha
I like how she looks now. There isnt to many with your colour combo at all. There some SS with it but not GS. If you want to personalise her for you a little goes a long way. Theres some sick billet shifters a guy makes on S&F. Also steering wheels add a nice touch. If you dont have blinker style trim its also a great upgrade. I saw a GS with a checkered flag on the wings. It was a red GSE with a 280. Ive always thought of doing that. It was only on the coloured portion of the wings. We just got 2ft of snow so summer looks far off up hear. Cant wait to get the GS wet!

flying07

I like how she looks now. There isnt to many with your colour combo at all. There some SS with it but not GS. If you want to personalise her for you a little goes a long way. Theres some sick billet shifters a guy makes on S&F. Also steering wheels add a nice touch. If you dont have blinker style trim its also a great upgrade. I saw a GS with a checkered flag on the wings. It was a red GSE with a 280. Ive always thought of doing that. It was only on the coloured portion of the wings. We just got 2ft of snow so summer looks far off up hear. Cant wait to get the GS wet!
Thanks for the help, and after looking, you are right, it's staying like it is. Be nice to get one of the 'new style' Allison steering wheels, just ouch, they are pricey! (no snow in MN for some reason, but 2 foot of ice!)

ScottB

Flying 07, what is the set-up on your boat? Engine, setback, prop?

Summer cannot get here fast enough!

flying07

I haven't played with set up, heck, I got it late last year and haven't had it in the water yet! RacerX had it prior, we ran it with a 280 on it. Right now, I have the same 280 mid, sporty lower with water pick-up hole on the starboard (power side) smoothed and filled, and a fresh built 225 powerhead on it with Brucato ACU and all upgraded internals (new block, vertex pistons, etc). Set back is a total of 11 inches, it will run to 1/2 inch below the pad at highest. With the 280 on limiter, ran a 26 chopper to 104 gps, I still have that chopper, although my 'daily' prop will be a 26 laser 2. Does have allison skidplate on it also. yours??

whipper

With a 225 you might come up a little to 1/4 below to even at the highest after some seat time with her if your looking for more top speed. 1/4 below is an awesome setting on a GS with most props. If your running a surfacing or semi surfacing prop 1/2 below above 80 will be low for effitiancy. But every little bit you do go up the driving becomes way lighter and takes seat time again before you should try running up to max trim to be safe. With a 280 you can get away with lower and still have speed. Thats why i always think more power is safer when talking high 90,s to 100. A 225 is maxed out in every way above 90. were as a 260+ your just getting warmed up. not realy but you get my drift. Then again with more power the speeds your seeking are higher so its all relative on safe. Rather spin at 90 than 104 or better yet not at all!haha

Last edited:

Lotus 50

I'm not sure a 26 Laser II is a good prop for daily use. Having said that, I used a 24 Laser as my daily prop for around 8 years. But it would blow out in the low 60's if I raised the motor very high. 2" below it would run out of revs in the low 70's, and that's how I ran it.

A gentle blow out. The revs would rise and the boat would slow down without drama.

ScottB

I haven't played with set up, heck, I got it late last year and haven't had it in the water yet! RacerX had it prior, we ran it with a 280 on it. Right now, I have the same 280 mid, sporty lower with water pick-up hole on the starboard (power side) smoothed and filled, and a fresh built 225 powerhead on it with Brucato ACU and all upgraded internals (new block, vertex pistons, etc). Set back is a total of 11 inches, it will run to 1/2 inch below the pad at highest. With the 280 on limiter, ran a 26 chopper to 104 gps, I still have that chopper, although my 'daily' prop will be a 26 laser 2. Does have allison skidplate on it also. yours??
I will be leaving the set-up right where it is on my boat, as it was running strong last fall. It has 12" setback, ~1/4" above the pad, Bob's true tracker and a 30ET. Need to mount the skid plate. I will plan to go out to Hydromotive late in the summer (after some seat time) and test some props. Todd suggest a Quad IV OT 27P. We will see... might like the 30ET and stay with it.

flying07

I will be leaving the set-up right where it is on my boat, as it was running strong last fall. It has 12" setback, ~1/4" above the pad, Bob's true tracker and a 30ET. Need to mount the skid plate. I will plan to go out to Hydromotive late in the summer (after some seat time) and test some props. Todd suggest a Quad IV OT 27P. We will see... might like the 30ET and stay with it.
What motor are you running ?

ScottB

What motor are you running ?
Pro Max 225 with a Sportmaster lower and 1.87 gears. Previous owner hit 102.9 last fall with this exact set-up, so it is a strong running package. The rev limiter is raised and the mapping is clearly hitting their marks. I wish I could tow it south 1,000 miles and hit the water :cool

racerx

Flying your set up is fast and safe for 4 people in the boat 7800 with a 30 with 4 aboard is plenty...

Jon

Supporting Member
Explain this word "plenty" to me... is it similar to "fast enough"? If so, I don't get it.

flying07

Flying your set up is fast and safe for 4 people in the boat 7800 with a 30 with 4 aboard is plenty...
Dont' worry RacerX, I'm leaving mine right as you had it, that thing flew and flew nice with Sufka's fat 'arse' in back :very happy

racerx

see I like to fly them over wind chop white caps pedal to the ground and with xtra weight in the boat above the pad sucks your just waiting for a bat turn low and on the go is how we roll...lol

whipper

27 is the magic number for pitch with a raised limiter. i never liked an et on my GS. With a 260 maybe but not my 225pm. My et was new stock uncut mind you. Heard nothing but good things about Todds new and improved QuadOT,s though. if ya get a chance to try a 28 performance drag3 they are mighty fine also. i wish mine was a 27 though. 28 works fine 25 works better 27 would be just right..:big grin 30 is big and good once your moving sucks out of the hole compared to smaller and not a whole lot of difference top end if ya got the revs than a 28 with the 225. add passengers and smaller is notably better also. Im into quick more than just top speed though.a little bit of both is nice. 27/28