Got XB2003 and 2.5 260 SS now the fun starts, Setup Questions

dubmoney

Well, I have finally got the two main ingrediants, an XB2003 and a Mercury 2.5 260.

The boat I bought was previously owned by Roy AKA AllyProud and I believe Herk. it had a 225 20inch Promax. I am now going to a 15" mid.

I hung the motor over the weekend and found that the Seastar Hydrolic Steering Unit doesn't seem to have the right geometry. Do 20" motors and 15" motors have a different relation ship from the pivit tube to the steering arm? Do I need to order different parts from seastar to make unit work on the 15" mid?

Second, the Detwiler Jack Plate that was used for the 20" motor seems to hang down further than needed now that I am running a 15" mid. Does Dewiler make a Jack plate spacificly for 15" mids? It looks like I may be able to cut the one I have down.

Anyway if anyone has ever been in this situation before, any advise would be very helpful

Thanks

Whit

(guess I better start working on my Signature LOL)

Question

Myron

I would get a Hydro- Dynamics 14" plate setup for a 15" motor, I can't answer about the sea star I still have cables

ally2dextreme

Congratulations and welcome....the 15 sure looks kool but I think on the 03 the 20 works better over all.I would sell the 15 and you'll have everything you need for the 20...

Myron

why do you feel the 20 is better, I have ran a 15 on 2 of my 3 2003's, I don't see a down side. I am a fisherman first also, never had any issues using the 15"

dubmoney

I have had a number or people, (who's opinions I respect) tell me to go with the 20" mid. But, 15 years, wait maybe 16 years ago John Tiger Jr. did an article on the XB2003 and tested it with a 225 promax ss. (with glowing reviews of course) Ever, since then I have dreamed about owning, driving, and fishing out of the boat that now sits in my garage. So, I admit choosing a 15" may not be the most logical choice, but like Ally2dextreme says "it looks cool" and I rationalize in my mind that it's easier to drive with the lower center of gravity, and I may even need that powerhead to be just that much lower and more out of the wind to break 100 LOL.

So nobody knows if the Seastar Hydraulic Unit for a 20" mid is different from the one for a 15" mid? Guess I will have to call them and hopefully I will like out and get somebody that even know the difference.

Myron

like I said that is all I run on mine for 20 years now, it works great nothing negative for me.

whipper

15 inch look cooler, will work just great, Better for trailering, increase value of your motor, Lower centre of gravity, ect ect... The only single downside I can think of that isnt a big deal would be when stopping you will need to give the boat a little gas just before the wash comes to the transom. But you need to do that with a 20 also. So again still no big deal.

Steering should fit and Myrons suggestion on jack Plate is a good one. i would find a Plate that is made for a SS for sure. If in doubt call the Factory and talk to Bill or Darris about your options. On the seastar steering make sure the bolt and nut for the swivel is the highest grade bolt money can buy. APR needs to be stamped on it. You have one bolt that can not ever fail and some years ago there was a viper that found out the hard way what happens if it sheers. Guys were checking there's and it was surprising how many never had the right bolt holding the pivot to the motor. The geometry looks OK but not as perfect as you feel it should be. When the motor goes up and down its not perfect but with the right Jackplate it will be better.

whipper

Holey I just noticed you like in Vancouver!! That means I dont have the only Allison in BC now!! haha AWESOME!!! i know some top notch guys in vancouver that can help you with anything you need. Lee Davies and Mike Nass are two very creditable ex racers that can help you with anything. i would call those two and ask them if they have a Jackplate you can trade your 20 inch for a 15. Mike probably first as he still makes race boats and Lee has the biggest outboard Racing motor collection in the world. Mikes not far behind and they both only run 15 inch 260 or S3000 motors on the F1 boats. I have both there numbers PM me if you need them. Lees a private guy but tell him I referred you to him and he will talk to you.

dubmoney

Thank you for your input fellas!! I have talked to SeaStar and they confirm that the Hydraulic unit is identical for the 20" and the 15" motors. I have found the problem, the Hydraulic lines for the trim cylinder where not allowing the steering cylinder to swing into the proper position. Now I Just have to get the Jack Plate sorted out. On a side note I have ordered a Carbon Fiber Cowling, pan and Skirt from Mike Nass and can't wait to get it!! Thanks Whipper for your comments! I live in Vancouver, Washington but I would still be willing to drive up and run with ya this summer. I have a feeling I will be learning to "ride the bike" and want some body to make sure it's possible with my set-up.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

whipper

HaHa Washington OK :D Dang thought boating was going to get more interesting up hear. haha Boating with non Allison boats is like boating by your self because they cant keep up at all. haha well there is a guy with a 800hp jet boat thats pretty fast but he needs gas every hour and I can go all day on a tank at 80-95. mike does unreal work with carbon fibre. Its an art that takes years to perfect and hes got it figured out!!
Some one correct me if im wrong but i thought the Allison plates are good for 15 and 20 inch? Dont you just flip it around for a 15?

whipper

John Richie lives in Everit {sp} Wash has a sweet red 02 with a 15inch 260. Great guy to get a hold of. knows his stuff! In May the boys of the west will have there WAR western Allison Rally. just something to keep in mind. Great way to meet everyone around ya. Lots of 03,s

90 5.0

I prefer a 15" on a 2003, i feel they turn better at high speeds and the motor doesn't stick up as much.

I heavily tourney fished with a 15" promax SS on my 2003, I would not own an allison with a 20"

you cannot get a 20" jackplate down low enough on that hull , all the way down a 15" on a 20" jackplate(a hydrodynamics0 will be 1.25" above pad.

Either get the reversable allison jackplate or order a hydrodynamics jackplate for it.

Love the NASS cowls i want one bad.

dubmoney

Thanks for the input "90 5.0" my initial measurements have me at about 1.25 inches below the pad when all the way down, mounted on a 20" Detwiler Hydraulic jack plate. It has a total travel of six inches. I will level the boat again and measure again. I have read that the standard for this measurement is as below. This assumes your garage is flat and level.

1. Adjust the trailer angle with the trailer jack until you can put a level on the pad, in front of the lip. How far in front of the trailing edge of the pad does the lip extend? Take measurement to the floor.

2. Set trim angle so prop shaft is level and measure from floor to the center of the prop shaft.

If both measurments are the same then you are even with the pad.

The 20 inch Detwiler jack plate does hang down more than I would like. I think if I cut 2.5 inches off it will still have 3.5 inches of travel, which should be plenty of adjustment, for wakeboarding, different props and highspeed runs?

Nass Cowl should be here any day, I will post picks when its here.

whipper

Leveling. Ya pretty much as you say. Garage floors generally have at least 1 inch lower at the entrance? Any way. you can put a level on the top of the fly wheel also. Top of fly wheel level should be gearcase prop shaft level also. The rub rail level at the wings and trailer level below wings is what I do along with top of fly wheel and gearcase. if all 4 of those are level your going to be pretty darn close. Measure then the distance from the bullet tip to the ground and the center of the prop shaft to the ground. If there the same then you can just go off the bullet. if not go off the propshaft center. On the pad measure from the very edge. Then measure an inch in. See if there is a difference? It could be a little depending on how much pencil roll ya have. but again what ever close enough were talking 1000,s of an inch differance. your going to be jacking it up and down and chances you will be exact were your measuring on the gage will be slim to none. but you will have a base line and pretty good idea if your above or bellow any way. Mark the gauge were even is and 1/4 below. above or any lower below isn't important. 1/4 bellow is best all round running and even is balls to the wall hight no passengers only your liability. Above that is a crap shoot and seat time prop and conditions have to spot on or dont even bother. :D Bellow 1/4 below is good for rough water wind chopped lakes. You can run 1/2 below and do 60 mph easy with constant 1 foot chop. Any higher and you skip across a little to loose. nice to let the sharp vee at the bow split your path for ya when ya drop down into a bigger wave.

youll {feel} it if your to high or to low. there is a sweet spot for your setup and your weight. once ya find that just always feel for it and youll be good. on super smooth calm water is a great time to try different hights. Thats when you become one with her and she will tell ya everything you need to know. :cool: she will let you get away with a little bit untill she slaps you. :D

90 5.0

with 6" of travel i can see that, if you fabricate it to hang down less and shorten the travel 1/2" below pad would be more than enough.

Mine ran best @ even to .25 above with a fishing load depending on prop

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
So really we only need about 3/4" travel - 1/2" below to 1/4" above. Everybody measures a little different so people's number are just a guide. A tiny error in measuring could make my even really the same as somebody else's 1/4" below.

Be careful and experiment but be careful and don't get to trim happy without somebody else around for safety. Don't forget a good jacket.

dubmoney

Thanks a million for your input guys! Whipper, your descriptions of driving at different motor heights, and different conditons, has got me wanting to leave work, right now and get her on the water!! Can't wait to do some testing!!

dubmoney

Thanks a million for your input guys! Whipper, your descriptions of driving at different motor heights, and different conditons, has got me wanting to leave work, right now and get her on the water!! Can't wait to do some testing!!